Some Phenom II Overclocking

Baulten

I was busy fiddling around with my Phenom II tonight and finally got it stable at 3.6 GHz. Ended up just taking better cooling and some lower voltages. Updating my BIOS fixed a problem I was having with NorthBridge frequency and I was able to get it to 2.2 GHz on stock voltage. I'm hitting a wall at about 3.8 GHz for even suicide runs.

I'll be doing some cold air overclocking this week (Wednesday I'm thinking) and I'll post an update then. If anyone has some ideas on how to get past the 3.6 stable/3.8 suicide wall I'm hitting, do tell. Specs are in sig. More voltage does not help, so don't suggest it, lol.

Here's stability screenies.

376ghzsuicide.th.jpg

36ghzstable.th.jpg

I did get a 3.82 GHz boot in Windows 7, but I got a BSOD before I could save picture. :rolleyes: Doh.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No useful info here and it's only been 24hrs since I STARTED OCing a Phenom 9550 (yes my first) so I'm still poking around myself.

I would prob try a little more voltage here and there to see if it helps stabilize anything first, but that's just me (Not like I ran an old 3000+ Winchester into the ground with 1.65v to keep 2.61Ghz stable a few years back or anything :lol:)

Also I just got to thinking, Windows 7 prob isn't helping you here, I'll assume it's like the whole XP/Vista argument ESPECIALLY back in beta stages where 24/7 stable XP OCs would crash doing nothing in vista. Could be a similar situation, but I don't have a clue really :D

Phenom II's are a bit different then the old Phenoms. They really don't like heat at all (shuts down around 70C, gets unstable around 60). I'll see what cold air gets me.

aren't there any thermal protections to be removed?

1.456V, 18x multi, 200 bus for my stable run. My board won't pass 245 reference bus and I was unable to get more out of changing ref bus than I could just by pushing the multi up. Past 1.456V I get unstable (probably due to higher temperatures, though I was under 55C for almost all of a 2 hour Prime 95 at 3.6Ghz). I'm pretty sure most of what's holding me back is my motherboard. I'm hoping for a new release BIOS soon.

Guest ajmatson
1.456V, 18x multi, 200 bus for my stable run. My board won't pass 245 reference bus and I was unable to get more out of changing ref bus than I could just by pushing the multi up. Past 1.456V I get unstable (probably due to higher temperatures, though I was under 55C for almost all of a 2 hour Prime 95 at 3.6Ghz). I'm pretty sure most of what's holding me back is my motherboard. I'm hoping for a new release BIOS soon.

The 940 has a maximum voltage of 1.55v so try placing it at 1.5 and work up from there. Depending on the board you have you should be able to get 3.7 by running at 18x210 at 1.5v give that a run.

It seems that all the phenoms and phenoms II's seem to only be able to give you and overclock of about .775 unless you use extreme cooling. I have a 9850 and that is all I could squeeze out of mine and let me add that it overclocks a little better using xp than it does using vista. Just food for thought.

It seems that all the phenoms and phenoms II's seem to only be able to give you and overclock of about .775 unless you use extreme cooling. I have a 9850 and that is all I could squeeze out of mine and let me add that it overclocks a little better using xp than it does using vista. Just food for thought.

Wrong about the Phenom II's true about the old Phenom's. You might have noticed that the new Phenom II's overclock much better than the old Phenom's.

Wrong about the Phenom II's true about the old Phenom's. You might have noticed that the new Phenom II's overclock much better than the old Phenom's.

Okay since I am wrong tell me why noone seems to be able to hit the 4ghz mark with the new phenom II's. My math isn't great but that would give you a 1ghz overclock and it seems that most are only able to go from 3 to somewhere around 3.7 stable. So let's see I can go from 2.5 to 3.21 stable on my Phenom 9850 so show me where I am wrong. So I say again my math isn't great but they both seem to be able to give you a .775 overclock stable. Things that make ya go hmmmmmmm.

Edited by mistabonz

The 940 has a maximum voltage of 1.55v so try placing it at 1.5 and work up from there. Depending on the board you have you should be able to get 3.7 by running at 18x210 at 1.5v give that a run.

I'll give that a try. 18.5x200 at 1.5V was not stable, but we'll see what a bit of bus clocking does.