• GamerDNA
    • imeem
    • LibraryThing
    • Shelfari
    • Yelp
    • Wakoopa
    • Other
    • None

Love 'em or hate 'em, social networks micro blogging, and status updates are a big thing these days. I've joined a number of them out of curiosity, while I've joined others because a friend has asked me to... for a lot of people social networks and micro blogging sites are the new instant messengers.

As we've seen in the 'Facebook Now Owns You All' topic, some people hate specific networks (i.e. MySpace) while others love certain networks.

Facebook and MySpace have been a great way for me to keep in touch with my family who is scattered across TN and AR. They've also been a good way to keep up with friends from school who moved to the ends of the Earth (litterally).

I didn't really see much value in sites like Twitter for the longest time, but lately I've become to aprichate it more. Because of the number of "major sites" that now syndicate to Twitter, it's almost replaced RSS feeds... I've also found it to be a lot like a big IRC room... though the 140 character message limit will forever be annoying. :D

So, what sites do you use? I've alllowed the poll to be multiple options because I'm sure a lot of people will use multiple sites. Please don't vote for something if you registered but only used it once or twice. You don't have to post your account info if you don't want to. If you'd like to vote without replying, that's fine. :)

And yes, technically OCC is a social network (the best one, right? :D ) but I intentionally left it off the list.

Oh, and let's leave the network bashing in the other thread, ok? :)

Wow. I don't even know what most of those things are. I feel old and out of the loop. I picked 'None' for all categories. I very much dislike all these social playground networks. Maybe I'm anti-social. I don't even like IMing. I haven't run an IM client in years, literally.

Wow. I don't even know what most of those things are. I feel old and out of the loop. I picked 'None' for all categories. I very much dislike all these social playground networks. Maybe I'm anti-social. I don't even like IMing. I haven't run an IM client in years, literally.

Last.fm (music), Flixster (Movies), and Wakoopa (software) are nice, even if you don't use the social network aspect of it... the software aspect of it can recommend you other stuff based on what you use which is really nice (IMO).

I only voted for the ones I actually use:

Social Networks:

Facebook

Micro-blogging:

None

Specialty Networks:

last.fm

However, I have accounts on MySpace, Friendster, LinkedIn, and I think Classmates, as well as Deviantart, but I don't use any of them, and I haven't even logged in in a long time. I should delete myspace and friendster, but I'm lazy.

As for micro-blogging, I'll probably be joining Twitter because of my company <_>

At the moment:

- Facebook: I don't really use it much. I mainly just use it to keep track of other people and give them a convenient way to contact me or let me know about events etc.

- Twitter: Just started recently and quite like it.

- Last.fm: mainly just for recording my listening habits. Will check up on upcoming gigs and recommendations occasionally.

I have considered setting up something on Tumblr, though I'm not sure I would use it much.

I also try and post photos to flickr regularly and will probably pay for a Pro account soon.

I have a myspace (only because I have family/friends there that are not on facebook), facebook, plurk (love this for socializing), Twitter (great for news updates), lastfm, and a blogger. I had myyearbook...but that place is just ridiculous so I deleted it. I have a friendster but will probably do away with it as well.

facebook and last.fm

facebook is worth it for how easy it makes organizing events alone. especially for someone like me who hates calling people. and last.fm is interesting, although many times i leave itunes on shuffle and leave, and random music gets scrobbled :P