Is My Gigabyte Ud3r Crap?

hobbienut

I build this thing about a month ago. Ran through all the tests. Everything passed at stock - stable. However, frequently Vista crashes running Fallout 3 with the ATI overdrive up to 650Mhz. Reading thousands of forums about the drivers and no one can come to a conclusion on that... another story.

So I decided to start OC'ing the E8400 to see what it can do:

First I up'ed the FSB to 400. Simple right? I mean any E8400 and gigabyte mobo can hit 3.6 without even coughing. There are hundreds of topics and articles on that specific subject. Hit F10, typed Y....... beep beep beep beep, etc. etc. etc.

I can only get the thing to boot up at 356 FSB with 1.4000V. ANd even then Vista crashes very frequently. Do I need to be changing something else?? MCH Voltage. None of the topics I've read say that they changed anythign else. No one else seems to have a problem with the UD3R mobo, and there are no topics about this issue anywhere.

When the BIOS states 1.4000V, CPU-Z states 1.360.

Thanks,

Matt

Is Intel Speedstep & C1E disabled in Bios?

I have the GA-P35-DS3L & E8400 at 3.8Ghz with Voltage on Auto- 1.4 sounds too high- I too had trouble with upping the voltage.

I lowered the multiplier by .5 & upped the FSB; then set the memory ratio so my 1066 sticks are running at 1075. It's been rock solid there ever since. I have had it up to 4.1GHz, but doing that does require voltage increases in CPU and Northbridge. At least it did for me.

IVYTHOS seems to be a gigabyte OC'ing monster- Ya might want to ask him via PM.

Did you lock PCI & PCI-e at 100?

Hope some of this helps. :)

Edit: Did you set your memory timings to manual to lock them in? With my Gigabyte board you have hit Ctrl & F2 to access Memory timings.

Is Intel Speedstep & C1E disabled in Bios?

I have the GA-P35-DS3L & E8400 at 3.8Ghz with Voltage on Auto- 1.4 sounds too high- I too had trouble with upping the voltage.

I lowered the multiplier by .5 & upped the FSB; then set the memory ratio so my 1066 sticks are running at 1075. It's been rock solid there ever since. I have had it up to 4.1GHz, but doing that does require voltage increases in CPU and Northbridge. At least it did for me.

IVYTHOS seems to be a gigabyte OC'ing monster- Ya might want to ask him via PM.

Did you lock PCI & PCI-e at 100?

Hope some of this helps. :)

Edit: Did you set your memory timings to manual to lock them in? With my Gigabyte board you have hit Ctrl & F2 to access Memory timings.

I'm pretty sure the C1E and Speedstep are disabled (did that for the ATI driver issue with Vista 64)

Will putting the Vcore to Auto work???? Kinda wierd to let the mobo decide that one.

I'm not sure my ud3r can step the multiplier at .5 increments, but if this isn't stable, lowering the multi and upping the FSB couldbe an option.

PCI-e is on Auto, which is at 100 (or at least that is what is sidebar tells me).

Memory timings aremanually set via manu's settings.

If this works, I'll start lowing the Vcore to lower the temps. So far they are at 60-61 (with an S1283).

Matt

Don't rule out the possibility that your board doesn't like your RAM. I know you have a different board, but your story sounds very similar to my situation. I just sold a DFI x38 board that wouldn't get my e8400 over 3.3ghz without introducing random vista crashes, program crashes, etc. . The guy I sold the board to now has his e8400 at 4.2ghz no problem using different ram. The symptoms I had were identical. I could get the processor overclocked to 4.0ghz and it would NEVER error in prime testing, but would BSOD or crash the os or programs. I have since switched mobos and now I'm running a rock solid 4.0ghz with the same ram. So in the end I found out that all my overclocking woes had to do with the ram.

Look around at people with successful overclocks and ask them what RAM they are running and consider switching to that brand of RAM.

Edit: And try to keep your cpu voltage under 1.36v

If you are putting in 1.4v and getting 1.36v, that's some pretty heavy Vdroop. See if there's a vdroop mod for it or a bios setting which should help alleviate Vdroop.

Edited by slngsht

Don't rule out the possibility that your board doesn't like your RAM. I know you have a different board, but your story sounds very similar to my situation. I just sold a DFI x38 board that wouldn't get my e8400 over 3.3ghz without introducing random vista crashes, program crashes, etc. . The guy I sold the board to now has his e8400 at 4.2ghz no problem using different ram. The symptoms I had were identical. I could get the processor overclocked to 4.0ghz and it would NEVER error in prime testing, but would BSOD or crash the os or programs. I have since switched mobos and now I'm running a rock solid 4.0ghz with the same ram. So in the end I found out that all my overclocking woes had to do with the ram.

Look around at people with successful overclocks and ask them what RAM they are running and consider switching to that brand of RAM.

I thought of that. I think the approved list from either Gigabyte or Gskill does not have the other on it. I checked that once.

Wow. First step in the OC process was to throw the FSB to 400? Huh. That's subtle... :rolleyes:

Sounds like you're just randomly picking settings and hoping for the best. That's not overclocking. That's "fiddling".

You need to start slow. Try 340FSB, then 350, then 355, then 360, etc, etc. SMALL steps is the key. When the next step fails, bump the core voltage up a SMALL amount and try again.

The way you're doing it right now sounds like you're just stabbing in the dark. That's no way to do it.

One more note: The "E" in GA-EP45-UD3R stands for Dynamic Energy Saver- Gigabyte doing their part to save the planet, etc... All those EP Mobos get seriously crippled & won't OC unless it's disabled- many posts in forums have even suggested not installing the Dynamic Energy Saver software on the MOBO Disc at all.

Edit: Problems with DES seems to have been an issue only in early EP MOBO's.