Modding The Intel S1366 Stock Hs

The Smith

The other day I sticked a temperature proble from my MZXT Sentry LX in the Intel stock heatsink fins and it was indicating 36C. I thought to myself:

Oh boy there seems to be a rather bad airflow in there.

So, here is another mod I did using my 92mm Vantec Tornado:

1st step: Figure out how I can swap these fans:

post-31336-1234667030_thumb.jpg

2nd step: Yeah something like that would be great!

post-31336-1234667045_thumb.jpg

For that I'll need to adapt my dice pot backplate for the socket LGA 1366:

post-31336-1234667037_thumb.jpg

Here is the result:

post-31336-1234667052_thumb.jpg

Now, if I want to use that fan 24/7, I must find a way to slow it down. Using a 3-pin switch, I can toggle between the 5V and 12V. On the 5V, it's as silent as all the other fans in my case. Wonderful! :)

post-31336-1234667061_thumb.jpg

I Need to make sure there won't be any short-circuit:

post-31336-1234667074_thumb.jpg

Woah it looks cool!

post-31336-1234667081_thumb.jpg

OMG the switch fits in the fan screw hole! Easily accessible, work great. I am a genius.

post-31336-1234667088_thumb.jpg

Finally, I did some testing. The i7 920, with an little boost of +0.08V, idles between 31-37C, and hovers around 60C when doing some IBT. Next step, try it outside at -30C for the Forum Wars!!!

Edited by The Smith

Nice rigging I will have to remember that I have several of those tornados, however I say get the rest of the dice pot and bolt to the back plate then take it outside and fill it up... :P

This mod is for 24/7 usage!!! For sure using the dice pot would be better, but for the wars I'll be in a lower team in extreme cooling is prohibited so...

This mod is for 24/7 usage!!! For sure using the dice pot would be better, but for the wars I'll be in a lower team in extreme cooling is prohibited so...

You read Rays post over there? More than one team in the same class and the highest score wins...

I myself have a couple of tornado's laying around here somewhere. Bastards are loud as hell lol....surely not tolerable for 24/7 usage (atleast for me :P)

I don't really have the right tool yet but I'm actually making a LGA1366 mounting plate for my Dtek waterblock.

Well, first of all guys, I forgot to tell you the room temp is 20C.

I'm really diggin' that switch and backplate, could you expound more on how you made it?

I bought the switch at a local electronics store. If you look at the first picture, the Tornado is connected to a male Molex connector which is also connected to a female one, in order to be able to plug many of them. So I cut the female connector and ended up with a male connector, which had 4 wires: 5V, GRD, GRD, 12V. I soldered the 5V and 12V wires on the switch, and the wire from the fan on the middle pin of the switch. This is the kind of switch that toggles between two modes: pin 1 and 2 connected, or pin 2 and 3 connected (Pin 2 is the middle one).

As for the backplate, here is where it started. I took a stainless 1/8" thick plate and I cut a square with my grinder. Next, I reworked it a bit using a file and sandpaper. Finally, I put it under a LGA775 motherboard, and, using a sharpie marker, (No I didn't make me any mustache :P), I marked the position of the holes on the backplate. Then I drilled the holes with a column drilling machine and the smallest drill bit. (I feel the smallest bit gives the best accuracy, for it exceeds the nose of the drilling machine by only a few millimeters because is a lot shorter. Longer drill bits tend to bend a bit and drill the hole not exactly where you want it.) Next I re-drilled the holes with the proper diameter of drill bit so that it would follow exactly the path of the small hole already present. Finally, with a bigger drill bit than the holes, I drilled only the beginning to remove the metal parts that were remaining, and to make it cleaner. You can see the small angle formed on the third picture.

But that was when I made my dice pot. Now I needed to use it on my LGA1366 setup. To ensure the new holes were really aligned with the existing ones for LGA775 I drew a line like in the picture 3. I placed a ruler from hole to hole and drew. Next, I put the backplate under the LGA1366 motherboard, aligned the lines on the socket holes, and marked the position of the holes. Finally, I repeated the same drilling process I explained earlier.

BTW, it seems the LGA1366 socket backplate, the one that is already on the motherboard, has a curvature. Anyway, my custom backplate goes over this one. This creates a space between the motherboard and it, preventing short-circuits, and the pressure is right on the socket. :)

Now that you know exactly how I did, feel free to do one. :)