Overclockability Of The Different Quads?

ebarone

Does anyone have any experience with overclocking some of the less expensive quads out there, the Q9400 or Q8300 or something? Purely curiosity, I didnt even know these existed until a couple days ago.

Does anyone have any experience with overclocking some of the less expensive quads out there, the Q9400 or Q8300 or something? Purely curiosity, I didnt even know these existed until a couple days ago.

The Phenom II 940 BE can go from 3.0ghz to 3.6-3.8ghz with a decent air cooler without much trouble.

I guess I should have clarified... all respect to AMD, but I have a mobo with a 775 socket (check my sig) that only takes intel, so I was wondering about the performance of those lower end intel quads, sorry.

I guess I should have clarified... all respect to AMD, but I have a mobo with a 775 socket (check my sig) that only takes intel, so I was wondering about the performance of those lower end intel quads, sorry.

seeing that you have an e8400 I wouldn't even consider the lower 45nm quads. I mean they may overclock well but you'd be better off getting a q6600 or a quality high cache Q9x50 quad if you were to jump 2 more cores up

I know how complex the answer to this question is, so I guess I'm looking for like a ballpark estimate here..

How fast would a quad need to go to be overall better than the E8400 I have in my sig? Say a Q9550?

How fast would a quad need to go to be overall better than the E8400 I have in my sig? Say a Q9550?

4.204Ghz? :unsure:

There's no universal conversion between dual and quad. It's not like 2 more cores = 437mhz clock speed or something. You just have to figure out if your needs benefit from more cores and make the decision accordingly. There's no "right" answer that applies universally.

I know how complex the answer to this question is, so I guess I'm looking for like a ballpark estimate here..

lol like 6.0ghz on the q8000s or lower cache q9000s haha

the q9550 would have to be the same speed as your dual to equal it's performance in standard single or dual threaded apps. In a quad threaded app a stock clocked quad will poop on pretty much any dual

With a decent mobo you can get the Q9550 to 4G. Remember these quads only have a 8 or 8.5 multi so you need a high FSB to get to 4G. The Q6600 has a 9 multi but the new steppings suck badly and if you lucky you get it to 3.8G (unless you get a used one proven overclocker) I my opinion if you get a Q9550 and run it at 3.8 you should be fine.

Edited by HITandRUN

I have worked with the Q9300, 9450, 9770 and Q6600. Each chip is different in respects to maximum overclock potential for 24/7 usage. I say 24 hour stable because most of the high clocking quads are going to be run at less than 4G speeds 24/7. The best of the bunch I had was the 9770 that would run Super pi at 4.4 but it was 24/7 stable at 4050. The lower the multiplier you have the more FSB you need to get clock speed. 500FSB is possible but for most it is not a reality. Shoot for a good 3.6 to 3.8G chip and you should be fine.

24/7 stable

Q9300 3.4G

Q9450 3.78G

Q9770 4.05G

Q6600 3.8G

Q6600 3.78G

Q6700 does 3.6 for 24/7 at 1.5 volts. My Q9450 does 3.6 24/7 at a bit less than 1.36 volts. It can do 3.8 24/7 stable with 1.4 volts but 3.6 is much cooler so I just run that.

I have the q9550 and got it at 3.91 for 3 days straight stable, gaming and everything. I eneded up clocking it back to 3.83 because northbridge was just to hot for my comfort. I booted on 4.0 and 4.2, my cpu was ice cold on air but my northbridge got way too hot and i would crash in benchmarks. I like the quad core for my use though.