Case Fans

tekredsox

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have a $200+ processor, don't you think it deserves a $30 fan?

No. :rolleyes:

My $300 (at the time) Q6600 is cooled by a single Yate Loon medium speed 120mm fan that cost about $5, and my temps are very good. More money does not necessarily mean a better product. They charge that much because people like you think that way.

I next to guarantee you that one high CFM fan will work just as well as those 7 other fans.

Wrong.

One fan can only blow in one direction. That's not enough to cool a whole case. More CFM is not always the answer. Directing the airflow properly can often be more effective than just slapping a bigger fan on, and that simply cannot be achieved with a single fan. Also, many heatsinks have a point where more CFM does not translate to more cooling (just more noise). My Thermalright XP-120 was that way. My Delta 130CFM (acquired free from an old server, not bought at highway robbery prices on newegg) cooled that heatsink worse than a 40CFM fan, and at over twice the volume.

what is the quietest fan with over 60 cfm in a 120mm fan? I have 2 120mm ultra silent fans that push 57 cfm at 24 dba. I am looking to add more but want to find some that move more cfm without as much noise. I don't want a computer that has great cooling but sounds like a jet taking off.

what is the quietest fan with over 60 cfm in a 120mm fan? I have 2 120mm ultra silent fans that push 57 cfm at 24 dba. I am looking to add more but want to find some that move more cfm without as much noise. I don't want a computer that has great cooling but sounds like a jet taking off.

The Scythe S-Flex fans are very good and quiet. The 1600rpm (F) version pushes around 64 CFM at 28 dBa. I don't think you'd see much of a difference in switching from a 57 CFM to a 64 CFM fan though. If you don't mind going into the 30 dBa range, Nanoxia makes a 120MM fan that pushes 80 CFM at 33 dBa and it comes with a fan controller to dial down the speed when needed.