Recommendations For A Subwoofer And Receiver

XiXVenomXiX

So I have an old Sony STR-D660Z which is fine but so is Standard Definition if you get my drift. Right now I only have Polk Audio T15 bookshelf speakers but my brother offered to buy me ONE audio part. I was thinking either a subwoofer or a receiver. Recommendations? The receiver cant be over 200$ and the subwoofer cant be over 100$

You could give this one a try highest rated on on the Egg between $100-$200. It's only 5.1 but who needs more than that anyway. And this sub is $99.99.

I would also recommend browsing around on Crutchfield, they have a huge collection of home audio equipment. Hope this helps.

My "bookshelf" speakers were made back in 1968, they have solid wood cabinets and 22" round marble tops. Empire Scientific Royal Grenadiers.

Edited by slick2500

true and hit up etronics.com

it doesnt matter on the receiver as long as the speakers are suited to your needs and can handle the room they are in and the receiver can properly power those speakers...

on my PC I use a Zenith sub with surround outputs that I run in tandem with surrounds from the PC...

This makes for a real good system with good lows and just the right loudness I need/want

for my HTPC I have a TEAC receiver (290w RMS) 5.1 dolby surround and I have 4 12in woofers along with the surround system....this makes for great movie show quality as well as thunderous bass...

I would probably lean towards a nice receiver as you could very easily build your own sub...atleast I would

if you want to build a sub then head over to partsexpress.com and they have all the supplies plus a very nice guide on picking speakers and properly building a cabinet to house it...

My Technics SA-DX930 only ran m $50 on ebay... I'd try ebay for some good ones.... I think Onkyo has some good $200 receivers tho. As for a sub.... I can't really recommend anything... mine however is an Optimus passive woofer with an internal crossover and its powered by my old Technics SA-GX350...

What do plan to use the receiver for? If it's for your PC, and you have a decent sound card, use the analog outs, then the receiver's features aren't too important, and you would just be looking for one with a decent amp. I just recently picked up a Pioneer VSX517, it's nothing special, but works great as an affordable power solution using my X-FI for decoding. I picked up a TSC ASW-10 sub along with the new setup, (little known company but great stuff), but at $150 (free shipping) it is a bit out of your price range I suppose.