Which Laptop?

RedOctober

hey guys

basically ive just started up in a new COD4 gaming clan,and have the title of admin bestowed on me,and there are a few software programmes that are used to run game servers and various other

components and was wondering which laptop would be adequate,also i may be doing some gaming on this laptop like cod4 and cod waw,and was wondering what sort of machine i should be looking at? bearing in mind im in the uk.

price range is about 500 to 600 quid

Any ideas?

not sure about UK but I shopped around here in USA for a couple of months until I found the right day of deals at HP (back in October mind you, should be better now with xmas right around the corner)

This is what I got for US$ 803.55 (+ 5% state sales tax, free shipping though)

HP DV5T-1000 CTO laptop

Intel Core2Duo P8400 (45nm, 2.26Ghz, 3MB L2)

4GB DDR2-667 RAM

Nvidia 9600M-GT 512MB gpu

160GB 5400RPM hdd

15.4" 1280x800 LCD

wireless Media Center remote (it stores in the PCMCIA/cardbus slot!)

DVD-RW combo (specials now are offering Blu-Ray combos free)

802.11g wireless (a good one, Intel I think, have to check device mgr)

Vista-64 (replacing with XP because Vista still sucks in my own opinion)

I can play these games (probably more, but this is what is installed right now as I type):

Fallout 3 with full graphics options

Sins of a Solar Empire

World of Warcraft

CoD4 + WaW

RS Vegas 2 (not the greatest, but then again, pretty %#@$ good! lol)

Plus it does Photoshop CS2/3 (I have 3 installed, had 2 installed), Sony Vegas, serves as an HTPC also since it has HDMI port built-in!

Shop around...get something with a Core2Duo (not an Intel Dual Core) and 2-4GB RAM and at least an 8600M-GT (prefer 9600 though) and you'll be able to do just about everything your desktop can do! Trick is to shop shop shop...brands aren't really in the decision other than a known name brand (and think about extended warranty as laptops tend to break down a lot quicker than desktops especially when you are gaming).

Don't forget a good notebook cooler too like the Zalman

AG, what kind of battery life do you get with that?

I've been looking at HP, but don't know anyone with one (most people I know have Dells). Dell only seems to have one notebook line with the P processors though.

I've been looking at HP, but don't know anyone with one (most people I know have Dells). Dell only seems to have one notebook line with the P processors though.

before my Sager I used to have an HP dv2700t CTO it was pretty nice (got the 12cell battery so I can't really speak for the standard 6 cell as far as battery life is concerned) but other than my optical drive failing (some POS company called MATSHITA lol) it was and still is a great laptop, though the video card (8400M GS) was so underpowered, it was a great video editor and the processor could really crank our renders (T7500 2.2ghz)

As to brands - I have a Compaq and its really nice, also loved by the missus. I got the Compaq based on a lot of friends opinions - most work in IT and use a laptop on a daily basis for quite a few hours.

I actually got mine as a refurb from a stores ebay site for half price. Full warranty but that's no good to me as I'm now living in Canada.

As to brands - I have a Compaq and its really nice, also loved by the missus. I got the Compaq based on a lot of friends opinions - most work in IT and use a laptop on a daily basis for quite a few hours.

I actually got mine as a refurb from a stores ebay site for half price. Full warranty but that's no good to me as I'm now living in Canada.

ya Compaq is arguably alright because they are the economical baby brother of HP, though I never hear too many good things about them. I suppose those on a tight budget should consider them I guess

most of the time it is plugged in as we bought an extra AC power adapter to plug in near the HDTV...but without playing any 3D games, I get about 2-3 hours out of my battery...really just depends on what I'm doing.

If I'm working on school stuff like MS Word and browsing web etc, I definitely get closer to 3 hours (standard 6-cell that comes with it). If I have say Winamp going or watch some vids, you know, kick in the cpu more than just word processing, it drops down to about 1:45-2:00 or so. Plus it is using Vista-64 which sucks battery life out much worse than XP does (I had XP on it for a bit and I could easily get almost 3:30-4:00 out of simple Word and Firefox/net use).

As for recommending laptops with AMD X2 cpu's...I absolutely recommend AGAINST it. The Intel Core2 based laptops are rarely/barely more (in fact, when I shopped around, the prices were almost exactly the same and in some specials the Intel Core2 ones were cheaper) in price, but they are definitely better in terms of power consumption as well as performance. Especially if you can get into the newer 45nm Core2 cpu's like the P8400 or P8600.

Highly recommend you do not get any laptop with AMD cpu's.

Edited by Angry_Games