What Games Support Quad Core?

Crow47

WoW actually scales pretty damn nicely with increased cores. Of course, you have to enable affinity for cores 3 and 4 every time you start it but it smooths out frame rates considerably.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WoW actually scales pretty damn nicely with increased cores. Of course, you have to enable affinity for cores 3 and 4 every time you start it but it smooths out frame rates considerably.

Lets face it WoW will run on anything newer than a Comodore 64. :D That being said I don't understand why people who play it upgrade the snot out of their comp to try and get it to run better or, heaven forbid, look better. It was programed the way it was so that they can spread the addiction to anyone with an internet connected computer. I still don't get why it takes up 9GB of HDD space though. :huh:

Now honestly back to the subject at hand. How many games really support multi-core processing? And by that I mean that there is a substantial difference in game performance not just 4 more FPS on average. :closedeyes:

Edited by ocmooz

I would hazard a guess at very few.

Of the games I currently play, very few even load my Dual core 100%.

Infact, the ONLY game I have seen where I get a 100% Load reading is Flight Simulator X.

Red Alert 3 Is single Core.

Source Games seem Dual, but never load the CPU to 100%

FarCry 2 is the same. Loads both CPUs, but never 100%

I would hazard a guess at very few.

Of the games I currently play, very few even load my Dual core 100%.

Infact, the ONLY game I have seen where I get a 100% Load reading is Flight Simulator X.

Red Alert 3 Is single Core.

Source Games seem Dual, but never load the CPU to 100%

FarCry 2 is the same. Loads both CPUs, but never 100%

Yeah, I've played RA3, and to me it looks almost totally GPU bound. It only used up to 30% of the cpu, and mostly it hovered around 25%. It's a shame that games don't seem to support quad very well, given the number of gamers that have them.

Lets face it WoW will run on anything newer than a Comodore 64. :D That being said I don't understand why people who play it upgrade the snot out of their comp to try and get it to run better or, heaven forbid, look better. It was programed the way it was so that they can spread the addiction to anyone with an internet connected computer. I still don't get why it takes up 9GB of HDD space though. :huh:

Now honestly back to the subject at hand. How many games really support multi-core processing? And by that I mean that there is a substantial difference in game performance not just 4 more FPS on average. :closedeyes:

RTS's are the only games that tend to really be impacted by the CPU as they involve a lot of calculations. That is why Supreme Commander sees great improvement with quad core. Other genres rely heavily on the GPU instead.

I only get like 15 fps in capital cities at peak hours :(. 30+ outside of capitals. Yes WoW can run on most computers, but when you Max it out on a high resolution there is so much to render. Takes a toll on FPS.

Edited by Krazyxazn

Yeah, that's what I was thinking myself.

If only it worked that way.

As far as I am aware, if a program is not Multi-CPU aware, or only Dual aware, it will only EVER use CPU #0 or #0 & #1.

So, if you are playing a game, that is Single Core, and running a load of single core apps in the background, they are all going to try to use CPU #0. Meaning the other 3 are sat there idel.

(This is how I understand the use of Multiple CPUs, please correct me if im wrong)