Which Os From Newegg???

DLS2008

OK, can someone help me out here... My friend is building a new computer and wants to go from XP to Vista. Problem is I don't know which Vista version he should choose. Also, I'm so confused by all of the different things in the titles on Newegg, DPS, OEI, etc. Can someone just give me a list of links from Newegg which would be the right versions to buy? Two links per version (OEM and Retail) and the versions I would like are Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, and Ultimate. Can some please clear this up for me? Also, what are the Upgrade versions, I saw a Home Premium Upgrade, is that an upgrade from XP?

Home upgrade is exactly that. an upgrade from a previous version.

I usually just choose OEM's cheaper and even if they say you can only use it one computer you can call them to reactivate if you use it on another build.

I personally would go for Home premium since I have no need for any extras in the other versions.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-v...ns/default.aspx

This is pretty good at breaking down all the different versions....

Vista

The two different versions are OEM or Retail....

The retail is a bit more expensive because you get a fancy box and phone tech support from microsoft.

OEM is probably what most of us on here would by......its cheaper, no fancy box included, no phone support from microsoft.

So if you don't plan on calling microsoft, dont care for a fancy box....buy OEM. Besides this, it is the same as retail. There seems to be lots of confusion on this.

Upgrade versions requires a key from XP.

With all the different versions of vista, I like to look at it this way.....

XP Home is like Vista Home Basic and Home Premium.

XP Proffesional is like Vista Business and Enterprise.

XP Media Center....kind of like Vista Ultimate.

Remember there is 32 and 64 bit versions of them to choose from.......its almost 2009....go for the 64.

Edited by uneedav8

OK, can someone help me out here... My friend is building a new computer and wants to go from XP to Vista. Problem is I don't know which Vista version he should choose. Also, I'm so confused by all of the different things in the titles on Newegg, DPS, OEI, etc. Can someone just give me a list of links from Newegg which would be the right versions to buy? Two links per version (OEM and Retail) and the versions I would like are Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, and Ultimate. Can some please clear this up for me? Also, what are the Upgrade versions, I saw a Home Premium Upgrade, is that an upgrade from XP?

this one....!!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16832116490

64bit

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16832116493

i have the upgrade ver on my workhorse....be prepared for hours and hours of windows updates...!!

why not 64bit xp....?...works good.....sees all your hardware....fast....?

i just put this one on my daughters christmas present.....not bad for the price.....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16832116511

don't quote me here but i think microsponge will send a 64 bit ver to you if you request it for a small fee....like 10.00 buck or something and shipping....!!

Edited by cjloki

i personally would go with OEM vista home premium. its right in the middle with features and not too expensive. i would aslo get the 64 bit version if hardware warrants it.

then again if he still has a 32bit cpu then i wouldnt recommend running vista in the first place.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16832116488

$99

i'd say to buy the cheapest one that still meets your needs. probably would be home premium as home basic lacks some features that are nice to have.

and when i say cheapest one, i mean any, even the upgrades... I installed a home premium on my newly built rig without having to install another first. if i remember right, you install, don't register, then install it as an upgrade to itself, and then register. voila! (sp?) you have yourself a cheap, but working, copy of vista.

OK, looks like Vista Home Premium 64-bit OEM it is then. It's a gaming buddy of mine and he's putting together a rig with pretty close to the specs in my sig except with a Q9550 and he hasn't chosen the GFX card yet.

just remember not to get the 'upgrade' version if you are going 64bit as you can not upgrade a 32bit install to 64bit......

if you go OEM, remember that if a part needs to be replaced (upgrade or failure), or if you build a new computer later and want to install Vista again (this after the first computer has been deactivated and without Vista), you will have to deal with Microsoft to get it reactivated, and you have to be very careful about what you say to them.

if you get retail it is mucho easier if you migrate the OS to a new machine down the roadie...

latertzzzz...................

why not 64bit xp....?...works good.....sees all your hardware....fast....?

THE 4GB ISSUE IS NOT UNIQUE TO VISTA! :angry2:

And XP is actually a pretty bad choice about now since support and drivers have been slowly switching to Vista.

hehe. XP64bit is really not XP at all, but server 2003 with some work done to it....

as Krow stated, driver support has come to a halt across the board on XP64bit, but 32bit support will continue for some time because of OEM sales and M$ policies......i have a new OEM XP Pro 64bit, nice if you use components that have drivers, but i have issues with one device that i need, so i went Vista 64bit, much better driver support, yes, Vista does have its little problems......tweaked it isn't bad, just a little harder to find stuffs (M$ and more layering, bleh)

64bit FTW, though, 8gig of ramski is NICE....

laterzzzz............

Edited by bldegle2