Getting Started

alexfort93

I would like to get started and join this, but I am not sure where to start, such as what parts are the best to use. Can someone explain or point me to a guide that gives a good and simple explanation of it? Thanks.

I just wanted to get into folding, I hear about it all the time and seems like something good, for a good cause. I want to know how to set it up and such (I guess to fold for the OCC team?) and what is the best hardware to use.

Oh ok so in that case all you need is a GPU what are your current system specs?

You can set it up now click on the folding@home link upper left hand corner on the home page. It will give you instructions.

Since you have a 9600GT, I would highly recommend the GPU2 client: http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadWinOther (the install guide is here)

I happen to like the console version. Install one, fire it up, enter a couple parameters (defaults should be fine, except for your name and your team number - 12772).

There are programs like FahMon to monitor your folding...kinda useful. Also, take note of your temperatures, you can adjust your fan with something like rivatuner to keep them within your comfort zone.

That 9600 will crank out some Work Units, started folding for OCC on oct 28 this yr. .The Gpu2 client is what i'm using.Dloaded riva tuner and turned the core of the 9600gt up to 725 and left it there.42-43c not bad.

Edited by wildman2

• 2 weeks later...