Nehalem/core I7 Evaluation

Nemo

In addition to this I've read a few other Nehalem reviews/evaluations and while it doesn't seem to be as brand-spanking new and awesome as Conroe was, it does continue in the path Conroe and the subsequent successions walked, and I particularly find it to be very interesting that the $284 Core-i7 920 more often than not, stomps the QX9770, an 'extreme' CPU that costs about $1116 more.

One can only wait to see if Sandy Bridge can outdo Conroe in almost every way possible.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's interesting. One particular review (Anandtech) has the 920 as it's base frequency as well as the QX9770, and the 920 holds it's own against the 9770 in six of their tests, and is completely ahead of the 9770 in ten of their tests. The 9770 only pulls ahead of the three i7's in three of the tests.

Nehalem is good, excellent for what it's been pitted against, but the cost of the CPU, the respective board(s) and such isn't very attractive to me at the moment.

Edited by r3d c0m3t

PS3 can't read subtitle files, so all foreign movies need to be hardcoded for subs. Actual files, not talking about blu-rays. If there is a quality lost in re-encoding subs it isn't a noticable one.
Ouch, I didn't realize that. Transcoding certainly isn't horrible but it does reduce the quality a little bit (compression noise will be amplified).

Sounds like you need to build a HTPC. :D

EDIT: Oh yeah, to stay on topic - the new quads are nice but I can't see myself spending a ton of money to upgrade for a very marginal increase in performance for most things.

Since the only thing I use my computer for is gaming and I was extremely interested in seeing what this new Intel offering had for us I am rather dissappointed in the gaming benchmarks for these chips.

Nehalem CPUs had a 4850 powering the graphics

Core2Duo CPUs had a 8800 powering the graphics

The other variable was 1GB of RAM difference in favor of the Nehalem processors. Personally I think the graphics card makes a bigger difference, especially since the 4850 stomps the 8800GT in everything but what, Knights of Sea (:rolleyes:).

When does AMD unleash their new architecture?

Since the only thing I use my computer for is gaming and I was extremely interested in seeing what this new Intel offering had for us I am rather dissappointed in the gaming benchmarks for these chips.

Nehalem CPUs had a 4850 powering the graphics

Core2Duo CPUs had a 8800 powering the graphics

The other variable was 1GB of RAM difference in favor of the Nehalem processors. Personally I think the graphics card makes a bigger difference, especially since the 4850 stomps the 8800GT in everything but what, Knights of Sea (:rolleyes:).

When does AMD unleash their new architecture?

What are you talking about???????????????????????????????

All the CPU's were tested with the 4850. If you bothered to look at the previous review you would have seen the numbers and benchmarks were totally different. :rolleyes:

What are you talking about???????????????????????????????

All the CPU's were tested with the 4850. If you bothered to look at the previous review you would have seen the numbers and benchmarks were totally different. :rolleyes:

The following page was updated since I wrote my post: <_<

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/intel_core_i7/4.htm

It originally had an Asus 8800GT Top in the Core 2 Duo rig. I even clicked the link to see the review of that 8800GT.

I call shenanigans. <_<

The following page was updated since I wrote my post: <_>

It originally had an Asus 8800GT Top in the Core 2 Duo rig. I even clicked the link to see the review of that 8800GT.

I call shenanigans. <_>

Ya I realized that it was saying 8800 and if you clicked it you would have noticed instantly that the benchmarks where different and the scores where way higher in the I7 Review. So I can see where you thought that it might have been possible that it was an 8800GT was used. That would have been a complete waste of time not to mention an 8800GT does not score the numbers that you see in the I7 review either :)

There were speculations that Core I7 would not perform that much better than a 45nm processor when it came to games. I did not have my hopes up in that category but when it came to real world tests i was interested in seeing the results.

Edited by damian

The following page was updated since I wrote my post: <_>

I call shenanigans. <_>

To make the gaming comparison even the 9770,9450 and 8400 were re tested with an HD4850. I made a mistake and linked to the wrong card. It happens sometimes. Just to clarify all results from all of the shown processors were run with the HD4850.