Anybody Buy/play Fallout 3 Yet?

maj0rgamer

I originally thought it was just going to be a simple cd-check. I opted for the steam version.

Both Bethesda's / Steam's forums are being bombarded with questions about this. Some people it works fine for, others can't install or can't play (because they've had emulation software). I don't see myself having any problems, but if I do, I'm going to be absolutely livid. Steam, in and of itself, is a management / verification...and I've never had any emulation software installed.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

edit: Nate's post wasn't there when I wrote this, so sounds like I need to do a bit more reading to see if I really want to purchase the game or not. I don't run emulation software either, but I also have an uneasy time trusting if it's failing on something like that. I remember when Vista first came out and it was calling Foul on people for legitimate software they legally bought. I don't buy a game to be policed. I don't break the laws but that doesn't mean I want to take the chance buying a babysitter who thinks it knows more than it should.

I am one of those people who seriously hates DRM which I won't go into since that's not the point of this thread. But until PC Devs realize its not the smartest approach, I'll limit which games that have I'll actually buy. Far Cry 2 was a bit beyond my comfort level since it limits it in the following way:

• You have 5 activations on 3 separate PCs.
  • Uninstalling the game "refunds" an activation. This process is called "revoke", so as long as you complete proper uninstall you will be able to install the game an unlimited number of times on 3 systems.
  • You can upgrade your computer as many time as you want (using our revoke system)
  • Ubisoft is committed to the support of our games, and additional activations can be provided.
  • Ubisoft is committed to the long term support of our games: you'll always be able to play Far Cry 2.

I gave it a try because of the Revoke feature but even then it shouldn't need to go to those limits, but whatever. You are curious about Fallout 3. Fallout 3 supposedly limits the SecureROM to just a continuing disc check as the game is running. But it doesn't install anything like FC2 does or Bioshock does. So in terms of games that use DRM, its one of the better ones. I hear buying it off of STEAM means you have a DRM free copy.

Supposedly the game is fantastic if you believe the reviews, but I don't know anyone with the game. Was thinking of purchasing this game myself.

Edited by Fogel

I bought it and am in the process of downloading it through steam...hopefully it won't have some of the trouble with DRM that everybody has been having (alcohol or daemon tools, sometimes SATA DVD drives show up as being emulated, etc). I'll know pretty soon (I have a SATA DVD drive).

I have a SATA DVDRW Drive and don't have a problem with Far Cry 2. Far Cry 2 DOES detect Daemon Tools, however I use AlacrityPC to launch FC2 and have it set to disable Daemon Tools before launch the FC2 executable. Then after I'm done playing FC2, AlacrityPC restarts Daemon Tools. Works like a charm.

Okay, so it sounds like they're after the people using emulators? I don't have any of those. This whole thing is starting to sound better now. I guess if one isn't doing anything illegal then everything should be fine. But what about securom being a trojan? I don't wanna give anybody the ability to monitor my pc, I don't care who they are or what I do with it...it's just not cool!

@Crazy_Nate Please keep it coming on how the game goes, I'm really interested in the content. I don't like the language that goes into these games...is there a way to turn off voice acting or does it have a content filter?

Maybe the crashing stuff is something that can be fixed with a patch. I plan to install vista ultimate x64 a little later on (I'm still weary of the transition).

Edited by Maj0r Gamer

Okay, so it sounds like they're after the people using emulators? I don't have any of those. This whole thing is starting to sound better now. I guess if one isn't doing anything illegal then everything should be fine. But what about securom being a trojan? I don't wanna give anybody the ability to monitor my pc, I don't care who they are or what I do with it...it's just not cool!

@Crazy_Nate Please keep it coming on how the game goes, I'm really interested in the content. I don't like the language that goes into these games...is there a way to turn off voice acting or does it have a content filter?

Maybe the crashing stuff is something that can be fixed with a patch. I plan to install vista ultimate x64 a little later on (I'm still weary of the transition).

The older fallout's had content settings that you could modify...but I don't see any in the settings (about the most I can do with this game). The game is probably very much M-rated...

Some people think the game freezing (in the intro / while loading the intro) has to do with codecs, I've tried all the "fixes," still no go. Now it crashes my audio drivers, and I have to restart. I don't ever think I've restarted an operating system / computer this much.

This stuff you talk about sounds like what some of the reviewers on Amazon were saying. But if you downloaded the game from Steam, then there should be no need for securom. The reviews are so mixed, some applaud and talk about how well everything is and some can't play it...I just don't know.

By the way, one reviewer on Amazon mentioned a fix for the starting or crashing stuff...you might wanna check it out. Try checking the securom website for an installer or something, but if you check out that review it's really informative.

Somebody also mentioned on there that there was a parental control for turning off some content. Have you not come across this?

Edited by Maj0r Gamer

I don't think my problems are related to anything DRM, I downloaded it through steam. It installed and opens fine.

The problem occurs when I go to create a new game, it simply freezes when it starts the opening sequence movie (within 5 seconds of loading). Some people have gotten around it by fiddling with drivers / codecs...none of these have worked for me. Bethesda should have a patch if there are this many people with the problem (just look at their forums...it's the most common problem right now).

I'll have to wait...I can't play it. My drivers and settings work perfectly fine with every other game that I have. My operating system was installed, fresh, within the last 3 weeks.