My 4870 Vs A 24in Lcd

Excidium00

I've been thinking about upgrading my 19in monitor to a 24in and I got curious about maintaining my framerates. With COD4, Bioshock, and the other games I play at max settings (WoW and the Orange Box titles) through my 4870, would I need to run 2 in CF to maintain max settings at 1920x1200? I pre-ordered Fallout 3 so that would be the most system taxing game I'd own. There isn't any Crysis nonsense in my future which would kinda necessitate 2 4870s at anything decent for that res anyways. So would upgrading my monitor dictate upgrading or doubling up my cards?

I've been thinking about upgrading my 19in monitor to a 24in and I got curious about maintaining my framerates. With COD4, Bioshock, and the other games I play at max settings (WoW and the Orange Box titles) through my 4870, would I need to run 2 in CF to maintain max settings at 1920x1200? I pre-ordered Fallout 3 so that would be the most system taxing game I'd own. There isn't any Crysis nonsense in my future which would kinda necessitate 2 4870s at anything decent for that res anyways. So would upgrading my monitor dictate upgrading or doubling up my cards?

unless Ubisoft or Crytek is involved you *should* be alright with just one card. I'm not sure about Fallout 3 but I guess you should buy the monitor if the price is right and then see how it runs, then buy the second 4870 if necessary.

I run a 24" display powered by an 8800GTX 768MB, and run ALL my games at that resoultion, and most of them MAXed out with 2xAA.

Only games I cant max and still maintain 30FPS min are FarCry 2 & Crysis.

I run FarCry 2 on all High or Very High no AA @ 1920x1200 and get 25-35 FPS, very playable.

I no longer have Crysis, but I use to play it on High @ 1920x1200 and it got around 25FPS :(

I also play CoD4 & UT3, running both MAX @ native with 2x AA and get 60FPS+ on both.

So a 4870 should EASILY handle a 24"!

You can always play games in windowed mode to prevent strenching, but I think window mode on some games reduces fps performance than full screen.

My rig can max mostly every game out there and still have 40+ fps (@ 1920x1200). Crysis, Far Cry 2, and Stalker Clear Sky run in the 20-30 fps.

Your 4870 will handle games at 1920x1200 like a champ.

Edited by Krazyxazn

I run my System Below on a 24" Acer @1600X1200 for most everything. Havent tried higher rez even tho the native is 1920x something. With a 4870 you should be able to do most anything at the higher rez's and be VERY happy. My friend, Im still amazed everyday at how good my 24" looks for eveything I do and hey its great for movies and online-TV as well. You wont be disapointed at the upgrade imho.

Edited by Kwok

^ that must look HORRIBLE.

LCDs look terrible out of there native res, but running a Wide Screen outside of a WS resolution.... thats NASTY.

Your 9800GTX should Easily handle 1920x1200 (standard 24" res)

^ that must look HORRIBLE.

LCDs look terrible out of there native res, but running a Wide Screen outside of a WS resolution.... thats NASTY.

Well, Fallout 3 looks friggen amazing at 1440x900 maxed out, a bit of stutter at times, at least I think its stutter. What you said reminded me of when I had a really old CRT and I screwed up the res so bad that it took me 5min to find where the cursor was to fix it :D The image was replicated like 6 times on a 15in CRT.