First Dslr, Messing About

markiemrboo

lol. Are you sure about that mr king? :P

I dunno. All mine are straight out of the camera, all I have done to them is resized them for posting!

Oh, and I forgot a few sunset ones from yesterday :) (yes, I know the cars are blurry but the sky is quite nice...)

dsc0295em9.jpg

dsc0296qd4.jpg

dsc03033yp5.jpg

dsc0287in3.jpg

dsc0289vw5.jpg

And that graduated filter thing sounds useful. I think my next thing may be some kind of cheap tripod though.... maybe....

Buy a polarized filter. :)

If the light is going to be bright and cause reflections, then I wholeheartedly agree. It can help with shadows too, but early morning shadows? I don't think a polarising filter is going to be that beneficial.

Try to avoid splitting the image in half with the ground + sky, a good rule of thumb is to have 1/3 sky, 2/3 ground or vice versa depending on which is more interesting. I'd run out to the shops and grab a couple of magazines which explain the various terminologies and give tips on composition and using all the different settings. Practical Photography is a good one.

Edited by Comp Dude2

Try to avoid splitting the image in half with the ground + sky, a good rule of thumb is to have 1/3 sky, 2/3 ground or vice versa depending on which is more interesting. I'd run out to the shops and grab a couple of magazines which explain the various terminologies and give tips on composition and using all the different settings. Practical Photography is a good one.

:withstupid: I dont do photography at all but I was always told to put your subject at the 1/3 mark. Either 1/3 to the left, right up or down. Woo woo high school photo class.

Edited by SMeeD

Populist nonsense :P

To be honest, I expect I will just take pictures of whatever looks pleasing to me, which may or may not naturally progress to some state of technically correct... at least for a while. Maybe I will get frustrated with trial and error in this case and have to read something :blush: I have not read the manual yet (oops).

If the light is going to be bright and cause reflections, then I wholeheartedly agree. It can help with shadows too, but early morning shadows? I don't think a polarising filter is going to be that beneficial.

They make the skies look much nicer even in the morning IHMO.

They make the skies look much nicer even in the morning IHMO.

Present weather in the UK is murky at best ... especially in the morning. A polariser is another piece of glass for the light to travel through. Negligible loss, but there is some ;)

Plus, for a beginner, walk before running. It's easy to make such recommendations, but most people have cameras that the auto focus is on the lens itself, thus rendering a proper polarising lens filter damned awkward to use as the camera lens rotates :rolleyes: