Looking For Some Advice For On My Next Build Please

RCPW

Hi. I've built my last 4 systems and this time i thought i would just fine aplace that I could just go to that I can just find the part that I wanted and have them build it foe me and then ship it to me.

The problem i'm having is that the place that I've found to build my system www.partspc.com their prices are a bit high. I've been speaking with Rob there, actually only once, he told me to find the place and the prices that are cheaper than they'll match them. I have found out that newegg Smokes them on just about everything as far as prices.

Can anyone tell me about this Motherboard: "Asus P5K Premium/WiFi-AP" I did a Google Search for it and This site here OverClockers give it a great Review but it seems some time between Sept and Now it's been Discontinued and even NewEgg use to Carry it because it's listed on their site and can only be found by doing a Google Search for it so is this MB Still worth Buying or Not, Does anyone Know what is or has replaced it.

I also plan to use to buy:

* Q6600 CPU

* Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD7500AAKS 750GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive (MAIN HD)

* Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EACS 5400RPM 1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive (STORAGE HD)

* XFX PVT84JYAJG GeForce 8600 GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card

* COOLMAX CUG-700B 700W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Modular Active PFC Power Supply

* COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel , SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

There are things that NewEgg has Rebates on that Makes the prices even better which makes it even more confusing for me.

I havent decided On memory yet because I'm stilll running Windows XP SP3 and there are so many to choose from but i want to go with DDR2 800 and I want to go with 2x2GB Stick.

Am i missing anything or am I over doing anything?

The reason why I'm going with a 700 Power Supply is because I still need a DVD Drive and a DVD Burner. I Also have 2 x SATA Hard Drive Here I want to install in to it also and a Sound Card. The Sound card I have Here is a Sound Blaster Something I forget but I Believe it's got to be better that what comes with the MB.

This has been driving me Nuts. :blink:

I'd like to make my purchase in the next Couple or Few Days Please so you Help on this Very Quickly would be very much Appreciated.

Thank You Very Much.

RCPW

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Either get Jenovas 620W Corsair, or some other quality PSU, but don't get a Coolmax PSU. Other than 2 models, they are 99% crap at best. Also, use a lower wattage PSU. You write that you want the 700W PSU because you want to power your DVD Drive and burner... those are probably the least power hungry parts in any computer! :blink:

Other than that, I suggest you go ahead and build the rig yourself. You've done it before, that store has a crap range of parts at high prices, plus doing it yourself gives you full control of whats happening.

Either get Jenovas 620W Corsair, or some other quality PSU, but don't get a Coolmax PSU. Other than 2 models, they are 99% crap at best. Also, use a lower wattage PSU. You write that you want the 700W PSU because you want to power your DVD Drive and burner... those are probably the least power hungry parts in any computer! :blink:

Other than that, I suggest you go ahead and build the rig yourself. You've done it before, that store has a crap range of parts at high prices, plus doing it yourself gives you full control of whats happening.

I have a CoolMax CTG-750 right now that I havent had 1 bit of trouble with for the last 3-4 years.

What type of PS Should I have if I'm Running 4 x SATA HardDrives and 1 DVD-Rom and 1 DVDRW Drive Plus all the Good stuff that goes inside, Possibly 2 x 512 Video Cards if the Boards Supports it, Oh Plus I have 2 x 250gig IDE HardDrives I Wouldnt Mind using somewhere instead of just loosing them.

I wasnt thinking about going used equipment. I've got plenty here, I just didnt feel like cleaning them up so i've just decided to go all new to see what happens and hope everything works when i get it all.

What what size PS do you guys recommend then for all that hardware?

Thanks for your help guys...

RCPW A.K.A. Jim

Are you going to be overclocking? I'd say ditch that 8600GT. If your on a budget a Ati Radeon HD4850 or 9800GTX would be the best choices for you. If you want to run crossfire later on a good 600-800 watt power supply would be good choices from makers like OCz, Corsair, Thermaltake, etc

Here put together a build like this:

MOBO: DFI LANPARTY DK P45-T2RS LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail $145

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - OEM $180

RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail $65

VIDEO CARD: VisionTek 900241 Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail $180 ($160 after rebates)

POWER SUPPLY: OCZ StealthXStream OCZ600SXS 600W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Retail $75 ($50 after mail in rebates)

COOLING: Tuniq Tower 120 Universal CPU Cooler 120mm Cooling Fan and Fan Controller/Heatsink - Retail $46

HARDDRIVES: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM $155

OPTICAL DRIVE: SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 22X DVD-R 16X DVD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD

I have a CoolMax CTG-750 right now that I havent had 1 bit of trouble with for the last 3-4 years.

What type of PS Should I have if I'm Running 4 x SATA HardDrives and 1 DVD-Rom and 1 DVDRW Drive Plus all the Good stuff that goes inside, Possibly 2 x 512 Video Cards if the Boards Supports it, Oh Plus I have 2 x 250gig IDE HardDrives I Wouldnt Mind using somewhere instead of just loosing them.

I wasnt thinking about going used equipment. I've got plenty here, I just didnt feel like cleaning them up so i've just decided to go all new to see what happens and hope everything works when i get it all.

What what size PS do you guys recommend then for all that hardware?

Thanks for your help guys...

RCPW A.K.A. Jim

The CTG-750 and CTG-850 are the two units from Coolmax that are great, so yea :P They have quality internals, the other units have crap internals, to put it extremely simple.

The system Queenz outlined in the previous post is great, except for the PSU. The StealthXStream series from OCZ is decent, but I definitely wouldn't hook up a Crossfire or SLI system to them. I would recommend you buy the Silverstone Zeus ST65ZF 650W for an unbelieveably good 79.99$! This PSU is among the cream of the crop once you get to high-quality PSUs, so for that price I'd say go for it! :)

Also, I'd grab the Palit HD4850 Sonic for 190$, that's the one OCC just reviewed. Looks like a killer card!

Well,... Here was my actual list when i wrote this.

Let me know what you think.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813131182

ASUS P5K DELUXE/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

$144.99 After Mail In Rebate

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819115017

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - Retail

$189.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822136131

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD7500AAKS 750GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

$109.99 After $20.00 Mail in Rebate Ends Oct 19th

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822136151

Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EACS 5400RPM 1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820231122

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814150247

XFX PVT84JYAJG GeForce 8600 GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

$79.99 = $49.99 After $30.00 Mail in Rebate by Oct 31st

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811119068

COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel , SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

$49.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...mp;Tpk=CUG-700B

COOLMAX CUG-700B 700W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

$99.99 = $79.99 $20.00 Mail in Rebate

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16827106228

LITE-ON Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache IDE 20X DVD

What kinds of things do you plan to do on this pc?

And ya, the word budget means something different to everyone I guess:) I think of $150+ cards as for mainstream gamers and budget as less than $100.

If you plan to game, then depending on the games themselves will determine if that 8600 can keep up.

The only difference between SATA2 and 1 is the transfer speed. You could still connect a Sata 1 hdd to a mobo that has Sata 2 controller. Not too sure about the red and black controller issue.

Also, regardless of how many HDD you gonna put in, any PSU that has 500w-600w could support your system with ease. People go for 600w-1kw PSU because they are Oc-ing and running 2 VGA(SLI or xfire).

VGA wise, 8600gt would be suitable if you are a light gamer, don't expect too much from it.

Having that said, keep things within your budget. I learn that the hard way :wacko:

What kinds of things do you plan to do on this pc?

And ya, the word budget means something different to everyone I guess:) I think of $150+ cards as for mainstream gamers and budget as less than $100.

If you plan to game, then depending on the games themselves will determine if that 8600 can keep up.

The only difference between SATA2 and 1 is the transfer speed. You could still connect a Sata 1 hdd to a mobo that has Sata 2 controller. Not too sure about the red and black controller issue.

Also, regardless of how many HDD you gonna put in, any PSU that has 500w-600w could support your system with ease. People go for 600w-1kw PSU because they are Oc-ing and running 2 VGA(SLI or xfire).

VGA wise, 8600gt would be suitable if you are a light gamer, don't expect too much from it.

Having that said, keep things within your budget. I learn that the hard way :wacko:

Hehehe,...

The cost difference between the 500-600 to a 700 PSU is almost nothing, Right now I have the 7600GT 256mb Videocard and it seems to play most games just fine "I Think" Turning Point Fall of Liberty, Alpha Prime, Gears of War, But then again I don't usually have the Water Reflection, Shadows and things like that on in most games and stuff like that maybe thats why.

The 8600GT 512mb has to be better than the 7600GT 256mb which I'm running now isnt it?

I could Cut cost by not getting the 750gig HDD right now, I still have the 2 x 250gig SATA Drives here at home.

What are your thoughts on the 1 x IDE DVDROM and the 1 IDE DVDRW Drive ? Thats what I'm running now and it seems to be just fine for what I use them for.

I'm going to re-look at the cost of a 600w PSU, Now i have to restudy those to find out what a good one of those are.

Thanks a BUNCH for your Help Guys.

Going Shopping Again.

Jim

{EDITED}

Okay,.. I have what might be for some of you guys 1 more really stupid question,...

What does having Dual Lan Ports Do For You?

Is that so you can connect two cables to it for a faster connection? or what???

Sorry for the Silly Question

Edited by RCPW

Not a whole lot to be perfectly honest! It's a bit of a useless feature to the average joe, including any average overclocker.

On another note, could you maybe post the budget you're looking to spend on this build? A ballpark figure would be fine, but the more exact you tell us, the more exact suggestions we can give :) Also, have you ordered anything other than the PSU yet?