Processor Usage During Games...

JeeFo

Ok, maybe noobish question, but here goes. I have noticed that during game play, CoD4 mostly, my processor never gets above 60% usage. I have a qx6850. 3Dmark and other benches will run my cpu at 100%, so is there something wrong with the game? Perhaps the game is only using 2 cores?

Perhaps the game is only using 2 cores?

Yup, most likely it. Most newer games dont take advantage of quad cores yet. It seems that dual core support is still catching on.

Edited by SMeeD

I don't think call of duty 4 is one of those games that is a smp enabled game and that's why your not getting full usage of your cpu. There's only a handful of games out right know that are smp enabled but as time goes on it will become common place for games to smp enabled.

Look at the CPU usage for each core individually. I know SpeedFan has two meters for C2Ds, but I don't know about C2Qs. If it has four meters, then you'll probably see the two first bars reaching 100% and the two others being very low.

I remember that Titan Quest was using my E6750 @ 100% on each core, and that even OCed @ 3.8Ghz.

Edited by The Smith

Why would you want to have 100% CPU usage?! :blink:

Benches use 100% so it can give you your top score. Games and other apps will only use what it needs.

That's what I was thinking...

When I play wow and aoc my usage on my q6600 almost never goes over 30%...

And rarely will any game take my cpu over 50%

I didn't think a game was designed to use 100% cpu..how would you run in windowed mode or tab out and use other apps like instant messenger, xfire, vent/teamspeak and anything else u want to do?

• 3 months later...

Hi,

dont forget, that the less the game uses the more is left for the OS ;) a game using 100% CPU time may cause system unstability.

Propably CoD4 isn't taking the advantage of 4cores... yet (maybe Cod5 ;) )

Seriously, though, A friend of mine has a Quad 2.2GHz and plays games like The Witcher, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and so on and reports that sometimes he has to cut some details to maintain the speed. Whereas I play the same games on my Core2Duo 2.66 and didn't notice much performance issues. (though his CPU usage is at 55-60% and mine sometimes reaches 80%) I guess that my 2 cores are utilized better than his four.

best regards,

wiewior1984.