Angry's first time (iPod)

Angry_Games

So, my brother came down last night and gave me his 30GB iPod as he just bought a new 60GB (and he has a 2GB nano or something as well).

As odd as it might sound, this is the first iPod I've ever owned, or even listened to. In all my years, I've had my hands on an iPod maybe 10-15 times, and all those belonged to customers or my brother who needed help in setting up iTunes (THE ABSOLUTE WORST . EVER...REMEMBER AOL AND WHAT A NIGHTMARE PROGRAM THAT WAS? iTUNES = JUST AS BAD).

So in the next week or so, I'll be writing up my thoughts (rants) on the iPod, what a dumbass culture icon it has become, what I think personally about having an iPod, whether I think it is a good buy or worth owning (hopefully my brother won't take it the wrong way haha...but if I really hate it I'll give it to momma which will make him happy as he likes her more than me anyway), the quality (both physical as well as sound), etc.

It might be late in coming as I'm probably the last jackass in the forum to own one, but I've never wanted one. Now that I have one, I can think of a few cool things (like plugging it into my Xbox360, getting an adapter to listen to it in the car, listening to it while doing housework like vacuuming etc).

Anyway, comments here on your iPod experiences.

The major thing at the moment I want to hear about is the default headphones that come with it, and whether or not different headphones make a big impact on sound quality from the iPod. My brother gave me the default headphones and they come with 4 extra ear shields or whatever that fits on them, but so far, even after an hour of fooling with the "EQ" of the unit, I find the sound quality to be extremely lacking...which is odd because when it is plugged into my brother's Alpine stereo in his truck...it sounds pretty friggin awesome.

Comment away...if your comments are good, I'll use them in my little review (rant lol).

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ps I would like to add I showed my brother how to use Winamp when he got his first iPod (the 30GB one I have now) so he wouldn't infect our home network with Apple's iTunes tomfoolery lol. It used to be a process, but apparently since 5.5, Winamp has iPod features built in without need of external plug-ins (so if anyone didn't know this, check it out...Winamp's Library features are superior in every way so far that I can see to iTunes...and while I don't have daily experience with iTunes, I've had to screw around with it for customers enough to know just how much I hate the %#$@# thing...)

Guest SuppA-SnipA

bleh iPod, i use a Palm TX for everything ;) except cell phone lol

although i wouldnt mind an iPhone because its different...

A friend of mine wanted to give me some songs of his, and we ended up syncing my whole library to his ipod...wow that was a pain in the butt to fix

my Motorola Rizr phone has mp3 playback and some kick-butt stereo headphones but it's limited of course to the size of the memory cards you put in it. My brother (who does everything for me it seems) gave me a 1GB card to replace my measly 128MB card, so I've been repopulating the phone with some music, but mostly for ringers (my default ringer now is the Jefferson's theme song from 1970's show).

I hate everything iPod stands for (Apple in general though I do wish they'd open up Mac OS to all hardware so we'd at least have some real competition for Windows since Linux most likely won't ever be able to compete for the desktop for the majority), and if I had a choice I'd buy something like a Creative or such, definitely not an iPod or Zune because of the bull crap restrictions placed on the units as well as their music service (hint: DRM).

Now with DRM-free mp3's and more importantly, the ease of use to get my iPod to connect to Winamp's Library, I feel...a little different.

And notice that whenever someone in the forum asks about which mp3 player to get, I've always said "just get an iPod" followed by "but use ml_ipod plug-in for Winamp instead of AOL....er I mean iTunes" lol. Mostly because iPod has so many generations behind it now that they probably are the absolute best in terms of hardware reliability, sound quality, etc.

I just talked to my brother and he assures me the default headphones that come with the iPod are excellent, but these that he gave me are some aftermarket ones that he never actually listened to (and he wasn't upset when I told him they sounded like absolute .).

Ok, Maple Leafs and Senators are in a killer game so gonna go watch

I use the iRiver Clix Gen2...brilliant MP3 player and the best sounding I've ever used too. I have an iPod Nano and I'd take the iRiver over it any day. The iPod is a nice MP3 player though....just bugs me that I can't play WMA on it.

Angry goes to school and starts turning all sophisticated on us!

iTune sucks. WinAmp rocks.

Can't comment on the player though because I'm still a simple man. But I can listen to music stored on my BlackJack :) Not 1,000 songs worth though.

one thing I love about Winamp (iTunes might do it too but I doubt it as it loves AAC instead of MP3) is that if you have incompatible extension, it will convert it to mp3 or aac, as well as allow me to choose how I want to convert FLAC (lossless, generally 1000kbps or so) to mp3 (which I tell it to convert to CBR 320kpbs).

I hear lots of nice things about iRiver...too bad they (and others) are jumping on the i-Whatever naming nonsense lol

Don't worry you're not the last one to get an iPod.. I am. I never owned an iPod, but it's mostly that I don't got use for one. Wifey got a off-brand mp4 player I bought her with 512mb, so if I needed to I could borrow that. That thing also has built in craptacular speakers, but hey whatever it works. I've played with my friends' iPods and I gotta say they are nice, besides iTunes, which I agree is crap. Maybe one day somebody will give me one, but I'll probably get a PSP first.

My daughter has gone through three of them. Not because they died, just upgrading to bigger and better ones. My only complaint so far is that Itunes is the biggest steaming pile of crap software that I have ever seen.

Same here, never owned an iPod. Although my wife wanted some sort of a player to listen to when she took the bus to work and back home. I got her a 1gb Sansa, the size of a plastic cig lighter. I was never a fan of the thing or any of Apple stuff. Now, I drive her to work and pick her up too, so I have the thing filled up with Disturbed, Metallica, Megadeth and other metal songs. Every time I plug it in my Dewalt construction radio/charger, the other trades hate me for I play my music LOUD, he he he lol.