Wow, where else would we get our New Intel build recommendations?

Jachyra007

Budget Intel build specs, that I'm going to play around with before giving it away to the girlfriend. She doesn't do anything that intensive, so this will keep her satisfied for nearly as long as the 939's were around. The last game she really loved was 7th Guest, which really dates the last time she had a comp of her own.

New

* DFI BLOOD IRON P35-T2RL LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

* Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 Conroe 2.33GHz Model

Combo'd with a Rosewill RCX-Z775-EX 92mm CPU Cooler

* CORSAIR XMS2 (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) TWIN2X2048-6400C4

* Hanns·G JC-199DPB Black 19" 8ms DVI LCD Monitor

* Sony NEC Optiarc 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model AD-7190S

* COOLER MASTER Centurion 534 RC-534-KKN2-GP

Total: $598.95

Spare parts

Antec 500 Neo HE Modular

eVGA 7600gt ko

1 or 2 80gb drives

Seems fine to me, I'm looking for any thoughts before I pull that trigger though. Thanks!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If she doesnt do anything intense why not give her your opty and 939 board and 7600, and get yourself the C2D with your current 8800? Thats what I would do..I hope this doesnt make me sound selfish or anything..:P

Because I think its a pain in the butt to re-install all the programs, drivers etc...:P Actually, I hadn't considered it that much yet, i had thought about playing around with her equip, and getting myself a better one later. But in actuality that would be a good idea - upgrade both at once:eek2:

I think you can really save a bit more money if you went with a lower Intel C2D model, you did say she wasn't doing anything intense with it.

Yea, nothing intense for right now anyway, probably because she hasn't had one to herself in so long...I'm looking for longevity, so she won't have to worry about not being able to run programs. If I give up my system there isn't much upgrade path left on the 939, except for a gfx card.

I s'pose i could step up a few lvls of C2D and faster ram if I was buying for me, but thats giving her an EoL system.

If its better than her current system, wouldnt she still be happy with it? If you use your PC more intensely then wouldnt you need the better hardware? You could grab yourself the Blood Iron or another P35 board with 2GB of good OCing RAM and an e6750 and have a great system for Gaming etc :)

Lol...can you count going to the local library as her system? Since I got my 8800gts I made myself promise to take it easy on buying PC parts, cuz I thought I was done for a while. But I read a few threads, asked a few questions, and now I've caught the upgrade bug again...sheesh!!

Whats the difference between these two processors?

All I see is the E6750 with 2.66ghz/1333FSB is $40 less than the E6600 with 2.4ghz/1066FSB. Am I missing something? Theres even the E6420 thats 2.13ghz/1066FSB priced right between the two. Shouldn't faster chips be priced more?

Blood Iron because I'm done with SLI, E6750 looks like its got the most bang, and either

1) Corsair Dominator 2x1gb a)1066 TWIN2X2048-8500C5D B)Cas5 5-5-5-12 TWIN2X2048-6400C5 c)Cas4 4-4-4-12 TWIN2X2048-6400C4 2) G.SKILL 2GB 2x1gb 800 (Bluelines?), or 3) OCZ Plat. Rev.2 2x1gb 800 to put in it.

Assassins Creed FTW

Guest element

Yeah prices for CPU's are a classy lady. The main this you are paying for with the 6750 is the added multiplier.

Go IMHO E6600, nice balance in you USD. But I'm sure an american can help you with the pricings of the chips. It's a fantastic chip.

Ah ram. The Gskills are good. I have had a few mates go with them. Never been happier. Yet they don't OC' so I cannot vouch for their OC.

Yea, thats the thing...I know prices are crazy, and even more so since everyone was scrambling to get products out, undercut others, holiday rush etc etc etc... but shouldnt faster ones cost more? If the 6750 has an extra multiplier, wouldn't that cost more v.s. being less? (what is that multi btw?) 'Ive read a few places that my DDR2800 picks OC pretty well to 1000ish, but at those speeds does it matter?

I can recommend these

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820146567

Less to worry about with the rebate and Im currently priming mine at ddr2-1100 5-5-5-15 @ 2.1v

They are hand picked or so I was told and clock better than the 800 sticks...

I think a e2140 would be sufficient, they have the M0 stepping out which all do over 3.0ghz (20s Superpi 1m)

My e6750 doesnt like the blood iron at all, Ive tryed countless settings to get over 465fsb stable at any setting. Could be a bum chip I suppose but doubt it.

Hm, does the 2x 512kb cache on the e2140 have an impact on gaming? (Against ie. the 4mb of the E6750)

Oh and, since the e6750 is cheaper, you should definetly get it instead of the E6600..overclocks just as well and is faster at stock ;)