How would I go about learning a new language?

njswift10141980

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take a language course, then go to countries where Spanish is spoken and/or watch movies in Spanish with English subtitles (you could also watch the movie in English with the Spanish subtitles).

Thats how I learned English when I moved here from Germany, immersing myself in the language and watching movies with subtitles.

I know a guy who moved here from Brazil. He had an old friend from Brazil who had moved here a few years earlier. They spoke English only. He stayed at this kid's house until his parents arrived, and learned to speak English in literally 5 days.

Total immersion. That's the ticket.

Guest SuppA-SnipA
Hey everybody I was wondering what is the best way to learn a new language to be more specific spanish?

Thanks

date a hot spanish woman, she'll teach u :)

did you meet a sexy senorita that you want to talk dirty to?

yes and no, she used to work with me but she moved down to miami with her daughter and she said she's going to work on her english and she wants me to get an english to spanish dictionary, but I figure why not go the whole nine yards plus I think it would be useful especially being in NJ.

I am playing around with learning Spanish, slowly and painfully. Rosetta stone is quite good for drill and such. Pimsleur's Speak and Read is a listen and repeat type program that is very good. Pimsleur is expensive so would be nice to borrow from a friend. :) If I had to choose one over the other it would be Pimsleur. They have a condensed single CD that is OK for a start, but the full blown Spanish 1, 2, and 3 complete sets are better.

All of the immersion talk is good advice I am sure but often impractical. I wish there was a club sort of situation near by to practice, that would be very helpful. There is nothing like using it and getting feed back to make things stick.