Opty 165 No Lid

My opty is reporting core temps of 64/100 while running orthos and it is stable. How is this possible? I use coretemp and it reads from the diode on the chip itself so I dont understand, It freaks me out to see it that high.

Thanks Guys!

EJM

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i forget but i dont think orthos is multithreaded,...

what are you using to cool the naked cpu? a normal clip wont have enough pressure to stay on, and without a shim it could be on crooked and not cooling very well, which would explain the 64/100

but it also probably wouldnt work right if the cpu was at 100C.... maybe there's an error in reporting? coretemp works fine for me though

I'm using a corsair nautilus water cooling cheapo rig to cool it.

It's a waterblock clipped onto a standard socket 939 plastic mount. I'm certain it's getting good contact. I dont believe it is possible for it to be stable at 100C and 60C.

--EJM

I'm using a corsair nautilus water cooling cheapo rig to cool it.

It's a waterblock clipped onto a standard socket 939 plastic mount. I'm certain it's getting good contact. I dont believe it is possible for it to be stable at 100C and 60C.

--EJM

If it's cliped onto the standard 939 mount, and it's naked, then the waterblock can't possibly be making proper contact with the core.

The waterblock for this particular device is mounted to the standard s939 mount. It seems to be making good contact with the naked 165. Im stumped.

Unless you have done some "mods" on the standard 939 mount, the waterblock can't possibly be making proper contact with the cpu core. The "lid" on a 939 cpu is 3mm/4mm thick, and your waterblock would have been designed to make contact with the standard "lidded cpu".

Unless you have done some "mods" on the standard 939 mount, the waterblock can't possibly be making proper contact with the cpu core. The "lid" on a 939 cpu is 3mm/4mm thick, and your waterblock would have been designed to make contact with the standard "lidded cpu".

I m glad that I did not pop the lid on my Opty 144. I have the same Nautilus setup he has. What kind of mod would work?

I m glad that I did not pop the lid on my Opty 144. I have the same Nautilus setup he has. What kind of mod would work?

I am not familiar with the "Nautilus", but if it sits in the normal 939 mount you would have to remove enough plastic from the seat of the mount to drop the Nautilus down the same thickness as the IHS.

Well, three dimes did the trick. When I first mounted it I thought it was tight enough but apparently not. Works great now. ~50c 2.8ghz 1.5vcore. Good enough until I can buy some real good watercooling.

Thanks guys. I just wasn't thinking, obviously.

--EJM

This is just a recommendation for anyone that drops by this thread. If you have removed the IHS on your AMD processor, you need to carefully check to see how your cpu cooling solution is mounted to the board. Many cpu cooling solutions are designed to work only with the height of the AMD IHS taken into account (read many clip on designs).

If you are going to go "naked" (which is a good thing IMHO), you need to make sure you devise a mounting method to ensure that the cpu heatsink - whether be water, air, hybrid or otherwise - is making solid contact between the heatsink and the processor core.