Opty 165 No Lid

Just to add a little bit to what wevsspot has said above. If you plan on doing any mods(ihs removal)go with a cooling solution that that uses the holes around the cpu socket for clamping down. That way the problem that edjahman has just had would'nt exist in the first place.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And it would also be a good idea to make 4 small shims out of non conductive material to go on each corner of the cpu, it can help keep your cooling solution from rocking to either side. I think we should make a list of cooling solutions that work and how to mount them on naked cpu's as this would be very helpful for other users.

Well, three dimes did the trick. When I first mounted it I thought it was tight enough but apparently not. Works great now. ~50c 2.8ghz 1.5vcore. Good enough until I can buy some real good watercooling.

Thanks guys. I just wasn't thinking, obviously.

--EJM

That seems a bit too high. @3.11 Ghz my Opty 144 is @42-44 at Full Load(Orthos). Your Opty and mine are both single core. TMax on 144 is 55°C The 144 is @38 Watts. Unsure about the Opteron 165. I would consider redoing the TIM. What are you using for your TIM?

That seems a bit too high. @3.11 Ghz my Opty 144 is @42-44 at Full Load(Orthos). Your Opty and mine are both single core.

He has a 165 not a 144 so, it is Dual-Core.

Might pop my lid, so to speak, I am cooling with a Storm block, this should be ok without mods shouldn't it? Just a case of tightening up the mounting screws a bit more than usual to get contact?

Thanks

R4z

I know this may be a bit off topic, but how did you pop the lid off the 165? I can't see any black seal around my IHS and it sits so tightly to the waffer that it's impossible to fit a razorblade between. I'm getting really high temps compared to my old X2 4200+ at the same voltages so I thought I would give it a try but no go :(

I know this may be a bit off topic, but how did you pop the lid off the 165? I can't see any black seal around my IHS and it sits so tightly to the waffer that it's impossible to fit a razorblade between. I'm getting really high temps compared to my old X2 4200+ at the same voltages so I thought I would give it a try but no go :(

Did you buy it 2nd hand ? If you did there is a possibility that the previous owner may have de-lidded it and just glued the IHS back on. All the Opty's that i have had did have the black silicon seal all the way round, except for the short air gap. There is a tutorial for how to do it.

And it would also be a good idea to make 4 small shims out of non conductive material to go on each corner of the cpu, it can help keep your cooling solution from rocking to either side. I think we should make a list of cooling solutions that work and how to mount them on naked cpu's as this would be very helpful for other users.

Very good point.

He has a 165 not a 144 so, it is Dual-Core.

Might pop my lid, so to speak, I am cooling with a Storm block, this should be ok without mods shouldn't it? Just a case of tightening up the mounting screws a bit more than usual to get contact?

Thanks

R4z

You got it. Careful not to over-tighten on a naked core though. Don't want to chip a corner or crush the core.

Did you buy it 2nd hand ? If you did there is a possibility that the previous owner may have de-lidded it and just glued the IHS back on. All the Opty's that i have had did have the black silicon seal all the way round, except for the short air gap. There is a tutorial for how to do it.

I did buy it 2nd hand, but the owner claims he never popped the lid off. It's the same with my X2 4200+, can't se any black seal around it at all. I can however feel it with a razor but I haven't found a razor thin enough. I've watched the tutorial, that's why I got so suprised there wasn't any seal around my CPUs. I do have a 3200+ Venice and it had a visible seal, no problems delidding it :mad:

I did buy it 2nd hand, but the owner claims he never popped the lid off. It's the same with my X2 4200+, can't se any black seal around it at all. I can however feel it with a razor but I haven't found a razor thin enough. I've watched the tutorial, that's why I got so suprised there wasn't any seal around my CPUs. I do have a 3200+ Venice and it had a visible seal, no problems delidding it :mad:

I've always found the best razor blade to do it with are the one's in the throw away razors. They are very thin and perfect for the job. Just be carefull with your fingers :D

could always reuse the old socketA foam buttons :P

told ya:p

Clip retention needs to be modified if being used on a naked core, because the loss of height is significant and tension is lost. If however you use the bolt-down method, you have no mods to do, but a shim is still recommended because you can crack the core if you exert uneven pressure

I used a Shick Injector. If you bend the guide up out of the way, you can then slide the blade out just a bit, and you have a handle. Plus, with the blade out just a little, it is easier to maintain control and not go too far underneath. Worked great for me.

I don't understand the comment about putting shims on the corner of the CPU. Are you talking about on the corners of the PCB? You would have to be pretty precise. Too thick and you would not get good contact, too thin and it would not keep it from rocking. With a bolt through solution there is no problem anyway, as long as care is taken.