Another Build advice

Branjo

What do you plan on using for cooling?

When I ran my new G0 q6600 and wanted to see the max I could get on the stock cooler.......It would get too hot even before reaching windows and would restart. It could have had something to do with the phase insulation around the motherboard but the stock HSF just doesnt even cut it at stock unless you under volt it.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sup Raider haven't crossed paths in a while dude. Yeah your right as usual bro, might as well try it before ruling it out. Every time I seem to see your Sig that E43 keeps climbing...lol

Not much. Actually I just got my PC out of storage this week and it's sitting at stock right now. I probably won't even try OCing it anymore for awhile until I build a new WC setup. I want to get a quad too but I'm buying a motorcycle instead so maybe next month lol

And now that I think of it does the wife really need the quad core? If she only surfs the internet and email and stuff you could save a little bit and get her a dual core. Same thing with her 8800. If she doesn't game then she doesn't really need a 8800. But if she does game or need the cpu power than nevermind.......and does she have a sister?....haha jk

lol raider I said the same thing to her, and she gets all "why do I get the crappy one and you get the good one" so for an easy "Quiet" life she gets one too..lol.

She's gone back to school for her masters and she really does need a desktop and she doesnt want to upgrade ever so I'll build her a nice rig to shut her up..:D

She's 56 years old and drives a 10.60 Malibu. I am a regular visitor to some of the street races out here and one of my funnest things to do to people is to tell them when they have enough car to beat my Moms and $1000 we'll talk about a race. Actually had one guy bite and made 500 in my Mom's car..

She's 56 years old and drives a 10.60 Malibu. I am a regular visitor to some of the street races out here and one of my funnest things to do to people is to tell them when they have enough car to beat my Moms and $1000 we'll talk about a race. Actually had one guy bite and made 500 in my Mom's car..

Bet they didn't expect that :nod:

• 2 weeks later...

The hammer gets dropped in 1 week, fingers crossed. I have a few changes that I need some more advice on.

I change the 8800 from evga to the XFX version, the double lifetime warrnty swung that for me in case of selling later due to an upgrade.

Im now going for the $100 Gigabyte P35 with no RAID or firewire, I have used raid before but havent in nearly a year so I dont have much interest in it any more and when I explained to the wife that if one drive goes tits up then she can say bye bye to her movies and Mp3 collection that was all she needed to hear lol. And Firewire has never been an issue for me anyway.

I have been assured that the Powerstream with cope nicely with the 8800 GTS 320 by the dudes at the OCZ forum, and the stealth will too as the comibned 12v amps is 35-38.

The case for me is the Xclio $49 black job with the big 250mm fan on the side( out of stock ATM but hopefully in a week they'll have it)

The one I need help with is the wife's case, She (we) just spent 2 hours going through all the cases at the egg and ended up with the Antec P180B http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16811129017

which looks sweet but I'd just like to hear if there are any probs fitting an OCZ Stealth in there as it has a cage for the PSU, maybe antec's are different sizes or whatever.

As for Coolers I have added 2 x Arctic freezer 7 pro's to the mix, they get great reviews and im basing it solely on this so any help there would be a plus too.

For hard drives for her, 3 WD caviar's 1 x 80Gb for OS and 2 x 250Gb for everything else, its a lot but I don't want her coming to me in 6 months saying I need more space for my OASIS collection...lol.

Im happy enough with my 19" CRT but She has opted for a 19" WS ACCER 5ms http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16824009091 again based soley on reviews.

RAM im gonna go for the cheap G.skill's they seem to handle enough of an overclock that certain dividers give keeping them near as possible to the stock 800.

I think most of the stuff will be bought from the egg but I will be checking ZZF, Fry's, eWiz and clubit to try and shave off a few bucks here and there if i can.

So how much of an increase did you feel from the Q6600 over the E4300 @ stocks?