Another Build advice

Branjo

Not sure about a cooler. I know this stock cooler i'm using is barely enough to keep it cool at stock. Temps get into the mid 60's with no OC at all. If I was to get an air cooler i'd probably get a tower cooler like the Tuniq tower or that new Extreme one from Thermalright which I think is supposed to out perform the Tuniq. I know I'll be getting a Dtek Fuzion for myself lol

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aww man I thought this was gonna be the fun part, buying it all.

I didnt know the debit card on the paypal had expired and I proceeded to start buying all the stuff and most of it has gone in as echecks which won't clear until the 9th, but I don't know this so I leave newegg to the last and then the link from there says "dude I think your debit card has expired". So I updated the card info and all went well but the deliveries are going to span over 2 weeks :(

I ended up buying

2 x Quad 6600 "GO" - clubit.com

2 x XFX8800GTS 320mb - zipzoomfly.com

2 x Gigabyte P35 DS3R - newegg.com

2 x 2x1Gb Bufalo Firestix DDR2 800 - axiontech.com

2 x Antec P180 (Black + Gunmetal) - compsource.com

2 x Arctic Freezer 7 pro - newegg.com

2 x WD 160Gb - newegg.com

1 x WD 250Gb - newegg.com

1 x OCZ Stealth 600w - newegg.com

1 x 22" ACER 5ms - newegg.com

1 x 700w OPTI UPS

Well when I was writing this I just got an email saying all the newegg failed to go through too, this will be the 3rd time that has happened they probably think im trying to scam them....lol, not my day.

Well its still a nice list :D

Thanks for the input guys.

EDIT: I logged back into newegg and it took me to a short default page with red text saying:

"Credit Card Update for Declined Sale Order"

"No Declined sale order"

Does that mean just ignore the email cause the card was just updated or has the order still failed.

They are still at STEP 3 so that means i've been charged, right?

False alarm, order is A OK. Now its just a waiting game.

Hey Raider the Firestix are the D9's are they not? 104 bucks for the pair was a steal. Those things never stay in newegg for more than a few days

I think they are. I never checked myself though I just got them because I heard they OC really well. And at the time they were a steal at $160 when all the other stuff was $250+

Dude, 6 months to a year really saves you a fortune. DDR2 has surprised me with being so affordable. DDR1 hasn't budged in ages, good for selling it though.

AxionTech are the cheapest for Buffalo's $104.99 free shipping http://www.axiontech.com/prdt.php?item=79213

EDIT: as I searched everywhere for the cheapest prices I came accross one fact of today, eBay is dead for PC parts. It costs more than newegg when you add their rediculous shipping costs and your not getting any warranty/support either.

Ok I have everything but the Quads, Clubit didn't set my order aside when they got the check and now there out of stock which is seriously . me and the wife off.

I sent them a WTF email as they were in stock when I made the order and in stock when it cleared but shortly after they were all gone....grrrrrr :(

Does anyone know if the OEM "G0" version's get the 3 year warranty from Intel or do you get stuck with the 30 days OEM warranty only, because these they still have.

I decided to keep the second 22" monitor as it rocks! hard to get used to though as the max supported Resolution is the highest supported by the X800XT....lol 1680x1050

Just a few points for anyone else with similar stuff.

The StealthXStream has to be turned upside down for the 4 pin to reach the socket which also means the ATX 24pin cant be put up the back of the mobo, but it still looks ok and doesn't interfere with anything.

The Flat ribbon IDE cable for a CDROM actualy doesn't run too bad when bent the right way and reaches fine.

The 8800GTS fits no problem with the top hard drive cage in but the hard drives would need to be mounted by screws not on the slide out tray's. I just have 3 HDD'd in the bottom so I really don't need the top one anyway, but with the trays out it directs the airflow from the 120mm intake fan straight to the 8800.

Now just gotta light a fire under clubit's A$$ and fire it up and see if it all works, Fingers crossed.

She's 56 years old and drives a 10.60 Malibu. I am a regular visitor to some of the street races out here and one of my funnest things to do to people is to tell them when they have enough car to beat my Moms and $1000 we'll talk about a race. Actually had one guy bite and made 500 in my Mom's car..

I heard the street races were really good out there....so the scene is still pretty big out there as we speak? It use to be really big down here in southern CA until the cops cracked down hard. They even formed a "street racing" task force. Our only real 1/4 mile track shut down. Now we only have a police sanctioned 1/8 mile drags. It's good to get all the reckless kids off the street but sucks for anyone who wants to build an all out beast with the 10 pt cage, drag suspension, high stall conv, and a ton of nitrous.....a car that has all the little kids running for cover when rolling down the street:)

lol raider I said the same thing to her, and she gets all "why do I get the crappy one and you get the good one" so for an easy "Quiet" life she gets one too..lol.

She's gone back to school for her masters and she really does need a desktop and she doesnt want to upgrade ever so I'll build her a nice rig to shut her up..:D

If she won't utilize that 8800....I figure she would not know the difference between that and an MX400 card. A nice C2D setup for her would be fine, but I don't see getting a 8800 for a comp that isn't gaming all the time.....it won't make your 2D images show up faster and look nicer. If you do get one for her, make sure that case has a window so you can at least see the thing...LOL.

Yeah but an MX400 won't run a 22" WS monitor very nice either...lol

You have to understand that I wont be upgrading for at least 5 years, I have been using my current rig for nearly 3 years and it has served us well and everything still works fine but I never really considered the future when I built it, but these new builds are above and beyond what we need now but in a couple of years they should come into play and really get utilized. I have put off things like video editing due to my PC being a little sluggish and I'd like to get back into that also.

Plus women are natural at multitasking, when I let her use my PC for what ever it is she uses it for, She ends up having 10 web pages with 10 tabs open, media player playing, on skype with her cousin and Open Office is on and she is writing a paper for school and now she's trying to get some of her CD's converted to her iPod. Then she will turn and say "your puter sucks its too slow".

The bonus for me is that while she is at college I have another blazing fast PC to do all the work that I don't wanna do on mine. not that it will be stressed anyway with a Quad but its like the old Doublemint commercial with the 2 hot twins, 1 is plenty but 2 is freaking awesome....lol.

I would also like to eventually get back into overclocking and having 2 identical PC's will help while one is on an 8 hour prime or 24 hour orthos. Thats why I never really got into heavy overclocking cause I get bored very easily and end up stopping the tests and need to watch a DVD, use the internet or play a game.

On a brighter note ClubIT just sent me an email saying they F!@#$% up and my order was kinda "misplaced" and they are upgradng my shipping to FedEx 2 day so I should be up and running by Friday (hopefully) which makes for a very interesting weekend.

lol. I only noticed because some people were saying "ordered my Q6600 on the 8th got it on the 10th" hey I ordered it on the 3rd and its the 17th WTF lol. Got a big apology from some bigwig and they refunded me the 10 bucks shipping too back into PayPal.