Anyone own a Microsoft Zune?

schoolslave

I was just wondering if anyone here owns one. I need to know what all this drm crap is about.lol. The reason being that I need an mp3 player and I have some songs of underground bands that obviously arent known to any software.

I heard that the zune only lets you play "approved" songs...........

Thanks for any help.

I heard that the zune only lets you play "approved" songs...........

Not true.

Unless a firmware update has changed it, a buddy has loaded most of his music and a bunch of movies on his and as far as I know about 95% play just fine. There are a few that the software would refuse to play though, which means it wouldn't even try to put on the player. I dunno, maybe a messed up codec or something.

Well, I need to know for sure because 99.999% of my music is from relatively unknown black metal bands, not counting the numerous bootlegs from concerts and parties.

And if those songs wont play, the zune is a complete waste of money.lol.

Well, I need to know for sure because 99.999% of my music is from relatively unknown black metal bands, not counting the numerous bootlegs from concerts and parties.

And if those songs wont play, the zune is a complete waste of money.lol.

Any standard mp3 should play fine. You might be able to talk a guy at Best Buy into showing you a demo, you could bring some songs on a thumb drive or something. Depends on the quality of salesman though, a lot of them refuse to do something that simple.

iPod Nano 8GB for the win.

That's sort of in a different class of mp3 player dude...

I got one about a week ago. I'm not too fond of the way it looks but thats only because they only had the Halo 3 edition. But other than that it was completely worth the money. It's played all of my mp3's so far and I already filled it up. I also put 5 movies and some episodes of ATHF and Afro Samurai on it and they all play just fine too. It doesn't let you put .avi or .mpeg files on it so I just had to convert them with the same software I use to put movies on my PSP.

What do you mean by "arent known to any software."? Is it something other then mp3? I haven't tried anything other then mp3's so I don't know if .ogg or any other types work. I'd check out one of the Zune forums. I think one is zunemods.com or something like that. They have a registry hack that lets you detect the zune as a regular external HDD so that could be useful.

i think im going to get the new ipod touch whenever they come out. i love my ipod "classic" except itunes but i've got other programs to transfer music now so im good. the zune just looks to bulky to me is why i never though of getting one.