8800GTS is a monster

Thanks a lot guys for all your advice about my new VGA card upgrade path. I wasn't so sure I would see that great of a performance increase over 2x 7800GT's that I previously had in my main rig. But wow let me tell you this thing is wicked fast. I was worried about it being able to keep up at my screens 1680x1050 resolution, but it runs everything amazingly!!! I just staerted running through all my games yesterday and every one plays perfectly at max settings. Stalker,Supreme Commander, Oblivion, DiRT, HL2. And a 3Dmark06 score of 9500.

This card is also a monster overclocker, I think I can probably get it to 690/1200, but I haven't done any fine tooth comb overclocking yet. However this card does run pretty hot, about 6c hotter than my 7800GT's at maximum load @75c. But I am extremely pleased that the stock cooler is so silent.

On a side not I just put in my Tuniq tower and man was that a pain. Very poor documentation and I had to put my original CPU retention bracket back on just to get it to fit. But the performance is more than worth it. My idle load temps are 40/44. And I have the fan set @5k, whick is silent.

Thanks again guys I just love this forum and appreciate all the people that make it happen

ADK

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read something about the new DX 10.1 coming out, and it not being compatible with any of the DX10 hardware. What do you guys think about that? I/m *almost* in the market for a new 8800 as well...

Edit: scratch that, I found a partial interview that the DX10.1 is comparable to a DX9c update, current hardware won't be "obsolete" with the 10.1 update.

Same thing here, I haven't touched the clocks yet.

i did the first couple weeks I had it but when it went into my main rig, I left everything at stock since I hate Ntune and its now a real pain getting the old CP to work to overclock with coolbits =/

i cant play some games maxed however.

STALKER i turn down the lighting cuz it makes me lag, FEAR just lags at whatever setting its on, DIRT isn't smooth on ULTRA, Lost Planet is just gay, and R6 basically is on high, but i get like 30-40 fps

i play 1680x1050 btw

i did the first couple weeks I had it but when it went into my main rig, I left everything at stock since I hate Ntune and its now a real pain getting the old CP to work to overclock with coolbits =/

Try the most recent Riva Tuner. Unwinder has supported the 88xx cards and VISTA in his most recent version 2.02.