Close to Watercooling Temps?

Javve

I know watercooling is very broad, so lets just say for comparison, a watercooling setup that runs $250

I was looking at watercooling but to get a system up and easier to transport, I have decided to hold off on watercooling for a bit.

The case in question is a Lian Li PC-A05B that I plan to mod with extra fans and a vent on the side of the case for the cpu heatsink/fan.

Lian Li PC-A05B: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?...N82E16811112130

The processor in the plans is a Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Conroe 3.0GHz LGA 775

Link: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?...N82E16819115028

I am looking at using a Thermaltake CL-P0114 120mm CPU Cooler with a different fan then the stock fan.

Heatsink/Fan: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?...N82E16835106061

Replacement Fan: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?...N82E16811999127

The question is, would the other fan with more CFM cool better than the stock fan? I know sometimes more CFM isn't always better, but just maybe in this case (no pun intended) it would help a it.

The next question is, would it cool just as well as a basic (see above) watercooling setup? What is the estimated max speed I could overclock this processor with that setup without increasing the running temp 10 degreec C.?

I know you all can only estimate unless there's someone out there that is using this heatsink with a similar processor? :confused:

Where would be a good place to put extra fans (same fan that's replacing the cpu fan on the heatsink) and what direction for air flow would be optimal? Each hole drilled would use a generic fan grill for max airflow while protecting the fingers :cool: I was thinking 3 on top, and one in side plus a vent above it for the processor fan and replacing the stock rear 120mm Fan.

I also plan to add a side window to the case.

Thanks

Javve

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watercooling will certainly allow much higher OCs than air cooling. At stock speeds the temps of a good heatpipe would be close to those of H2O; but with higher OCs the heatpipe temps will increase a lot more than those for a WC rig. The ~$250 kits ate petrastechshop are actually quality components.

About the only places I could see mounting a RAD in that case would be beside the drive bays or the top of the case.

Do the Dual Core Duo's have a convex shape to them? Been reading some posts on here such as the Apogee GT having an O Ring so it will get shape, and other people lapping the heatsink so it's truely flat.

If the processor is flat, such as the E6850, would a simple lapping of the heatsink be recommended? Nothing too far into it to where it doesn't fit anymore but mainly to get some impurities off and get it a little more flat, then using arctic silver 5.

Going to be a bit and I'll have to bump this thread once I do get the parts, but I plan to take pictures throughout the process, then get heat reports with both the stock processor fan for a base and the replacement fan. If lapped then I'll do a before and after with both fans as well.

Javve

Guest navinjohnson

If you are looking for a decent OC, don't go with the top dog of CPUs (unless you have money to burn). Get one that has the same core and similar cache (ie. the 6550 or 6750 for better multipliers). With that extra cash you saved, pick up some nice water cooling equipment.

And, if you really don't want water cooling, start researching good heat pipe heatsinks. To remain transportable I recommend the Thermalright XP90 or XP120. Google for reviews on them to see how they stack up against others.

As far as lapping goes. I've done it. It isn't fun. Don't worry about doing it unless your waterblock/heatsink is giving you problems.

The best thing you can do by far though, is keep on reading. Become a sponge. Analyze and reanalyze information you pour over until you are knowledgeable and happy with your decision for parts.

... then prepare for setbacks... many setbacks :)

The Zalman 9700 CPU heatsink/fan is an excellent choice for aircooling the C2D processors. I just recently removed mine to upgrade to water cooling, but the Zalman did an excellent job when it was in service.

And it is a fairly light part too because of it's design.

Yes, the IHS on many intel processors is convex. And yes, Swiftech does include a larger O-ring with their Apogee GT water blocks to give the base a bow to help overcome the intel IHS problem.

And it works. My temps. improved 1-2C by bowing my Apogee GT water block, and that was even after lapping the IHS on my E6600.

I do fine on air with my many variant modified cpns9500 zalmans. On an x2 3800 I have been able to hit a low idle temp of -8C/2C, and full load temps of 14C/17C (not down clocked either.. at 2.0Ghz

and when overclocked to 2.709Ghz under full load, 23C/26C

sig2.jpg

newrecord-fullload1.jpg

2-1.png

on my fx-60, I have reached a low idle temp of 3C/15C

coldestaircooledfx-60.png

I rather dislike the idea of water cooling anyways.... H2O+Electricity=POOFF!!! ZAPP! SPARK!! POP!! -$3000!!

I do fine on air with my many variant modified cpns9500 zalmans. On an x2 3800 I have been able to hit a low idle temp of -8C/2C, and full load temps of 14C/17C (not down clocked either.. at 2.0Ghz

and when overclocked to 2.709Ghz under full load, 23C/26C

Sub-zero idle temps on air???? :confused::confused::confused:

Air and water cooling will at best get you down to ambient temps. Anything below ambient you'd need TECs/Peltiers, vapor/phase change, or LN2.

I'm assuming he lives somwhere in the Artic?

There isn't any way that air cooling can get you anywhere below the actual ambient temperature of the air inside or outside of your case.

Since your temps. indicate between 51 and 57C then I'd have to assume that your ambient temps are at least that or even lower.

The same applies for water cooling. It is also affected by the ambient temperature. A good water cooling setup will however, allow you to push your clocks and up your voltage while still maintaining load temperatures below what you would see with most air cooling setups.

As radodrill points out, achieving temperatures lower than the ambient air temperature thresh hold requires more sophisticated hardware.

Not too complicated with bong cooling.

Sure evaporative coolers* can achieve sub ambient temps; but it's still "more sophisticated hardware". Also evaporative cooling is noisy and takes up more space than a TEC or vapor system does. BTW TECs and certainly vapor rigs will outperform an evaporative cooler.

*most people wouldn't know what you mean by a "bong cooler"; I was confused at first when you were asking about a bong. Referring to them as evaporative coolers or cooling towers makes more sense and is less confusing.