Close to Watercooling Temps?

Javve

I don't see how this doesn't fit into the "standard air cooling method's", since after all, i am just using case fans and air cooling heat sink and air...

Non-standard since you're drawing the supply air from outside the building instead of from the environment just outside the case (setting the case itself outside with extensions for the I/O would sorta be in the gray area but still more standard). Granted it still is aircooling, but implemented in an abnormal/uncommon fashion.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and to clarify, the -8c/+2c temps were achieved with an ambient air intake of -29C

Theres something wrong here to if those are your temps your air cooling sucks. At idle -8 would be a 21 degree increase from your ambient. That would be like normal people getting 40c temps at idle.

Ive had some time to experiment a bit while my watercooling has been down and my temps before without an OC were 2c over ambient at idle and 11c running prime.

Now with the stock intel HSF I idle at 35c and load at 45c.

I also got a CNPS9500 in my closet but havent used it since, it was good but inferior to watercooling.

Your situation is not starndard cause u keep whipping out these peltier like numbers on standard air cooling and saying its possible to get below ambient.

Then later you say you got this intake thats -30 which I think is BS cause everything in your case would be covered with condenstation. Its gotta be warmer in there if the cpu is at -8c on that ambient.

And dont worry about water cooling frying your pc. Use distilled water. Ive had a leak for months a nothing becomes of it but some light corrosion that can be brushed of if you let it go to long. Dan

danzgpgt97, let me kick some physics knowledge at you. I do not suffer from condensation, and here is why. condensation occurs when two things happen..

1: warm moist air comes in contact with a cooler surface, slowing down the air movement, which causes the water molecules to slow down and form onto the cooler surface.

2: lack of air flow prevents fresh air intake to vent out the warm moist air.

and now to fully understand why i do not have condensation problems... i am intaking cold air, with a decent amount of cfm, into the case, and all the "old" air gets sucked out of the case via the fans. this prevents reason #2 listed above, from happening. another reason i dont have condensation is because the entire inside case is colder than the heatsink, so there is no warm air being cooled down and slowed.

and now i will address the stupidest thing you said in your whole comment:

Theres something wrong here to if those are your temps your air cooling sucks. At idle -8 would be a 21 degree increase from your ambient.
umm... -8C/2C for air cooling DOES NOT SUCK

Then later you say you got this intake thats -30 which I think is BS cause everything in your case would be covered with condenstation. Its gotta be warmer in there if the cpu is at -8c on that ambient.
umm... if the intake is -30C and the cpu under load is -8c (mind you the heatsink is hotter then the rest of the air) how the hell could the inside of my case be HOTTER?

you need to read up on how condensation actually occurs. try looking up weatherizing houses pertaining to condensation.

but, before you research that, go buy some smartroids as your logic shows you need them

edit: after going back onto yahoo weather, the source intake temps for that night was -17C (0F) I suck at conversions.

so those temps are perfectly normal and dont suck, as since i have had 3 dual core amd 939 cpu's (2 x2 3800 and an fx-60) and 5 different zalman's (3 9500's and 2 9700's) and the cooler of the two cores has always generally been 9 to 11 C above ambient intake. I am guessing that is due to just using generic thermal compound.

To make a comparision between air and water like that. You would need a lab. To test. Using the same system and exact config. Using the most exacting mounting methods. (As block-sink mounting preasure,paste consistancy can make a big diff.) Also during the time between tests ambient conditions in the room and case can change alot.

I noticed the 21-26c diffrential(delta)between your ambients and load temp.

With my current config and settings(In sig) and ambients.(85f) My delta is only 7c.When priming.Between room ambient and load temps. though I expect when gaming it could be a abit more. I expect an AMD dual core my delta would still be onlly about 9c. From what I've seen of systems of simular configs over at XS.(Pending voltage and clocks.and ambients of course.) If you want me to warm it up and shoot ya' a screen shot I will.

When I was running my opteron.(true single core) cpu loop only.At 2800 my delta was only 3-4c. (between room ambient and load temps. (Digital thermo right by the rad)

Side note: My opty would cold bugg @8c. Cold morning computer wouldn't fire. LOL... Looks like your processor is a nice canidate for phase cooling.

(Edit:At that time I typed this post I was running 310X10.1.225*1.26%vid)

My current delta is less only 5-6c 305x10 1.175*123%

Edit2: Oh missed that!(Sorry) -17c case ambient.(Thats much better!) But remember the colder your ambients the narrower your delta should be.. Or rather the hotter the wider...