Dead men tell no tales. But the blackbox blabs!

red930

The box can obviously read the speed someone was going, which as far as I'm concerned is an invasion of privacy. This man's family's lives were ruined, and I'm supposed to say "oh well, he was speeding"? I'm not comfortable knowing that the cops can look at my black box and see I've been speeding, or even my mechanic, so it's an invasion of privacy. What if the cops were to offer rewards for mechanics who report people whose blackboxes have reported speeding?

I could be wrong here but I believe that not just any old mechanic can read these. I think they have to be hooked up to certain equipment and then someone who is knowledgeable about them can then gather the information. Also, I think they don't remove black boxes unless the car has been wrecked or totaled. These are just my assumptions.

It can also be used to hunt down anyone who goes more than five miles per hour over the posted speed limit for any length of time. Sure, you're out and about, you go 61 in the 55 zone, maybe even pass by a few cops, hell they won't stop you because for that it's really not worth the hassle. Then you come home and find a speeding ticket in your mailbox with "Big Brother is watching you" written on it.

These things are not wifi/satellite internet configured beats of a machine. Its just a recording device.

The box can obviously read the speed someone was going, which as far as I'm concerned is an invasion of privacy. This man's family's lives were ruined, and I'm supposed to say "oh well, he was speeding"? I'm not comfortable knowing that the cops can look at my black box and see I've been speeding, or even my mechanic, so it's an invasion of privacy. What if the cops were to offer rewards for mechanics who report people whose blackboxes have reported speeding?

I think its more of the lines of "oh, he was speeding, yes its tragic, but now at least two lives are not ruined." As for the speeding conspiracy, why is that such a big deal? If you're that worried about getting a ticket, just don't speed. You follow the rules of this forum, rules of your house, why not the rules on the road too?

These things are not wifi/satellite internet configured beats of a machine. Its just a recording device.

No, but they could be. For all we know, that could be next.

I think its more of the lines of "oh, he was speeding, yes its tragic, but now at least two lives are not ruined." As for the speeding conspiracy, why is that such a big deal? If you're that worried about getting a ticket, just don't speed. You follow the rules of this forum, rules of your house, why not the rules on the road too?

It's not a ticket I'm worried about. I'm not even worried about anything. I'm just not comfortable knowing there's something in my car that can tell the right people how fast I drive. If they want to set up speed traps, that's fine, but don't put surveillance equipment in private locations. What's next, THC sensors in every room of the house? It's all the same thing. I'll pay a damn ticket, but don't invade my privacy.

That is not what I inferred. Nor intoned.

I didn't say you did. I said the black box is an invasion of privacy.

They're installing blackboxes in cars now? Talk about privacy invasion.

They have been installing "Black Boxes" in vehicles for a while now...

They started putting them in select vehicles back in the mid to late 70's

they were mostly in vans and such...

I worked on quite a few vehicles in the 80's that had little black boxes under the drivers seat...;)

Most all people never knew they were there...but anytime you took your vehicles for service and they hooked up to the Diagnostic conector they could see the black box was onboard and retrieve info...;)

ExRoadie, my condolences to you and your friend's family.

General, just by using an online connection you are exposing yourself a million more times than by driving a modern car, the only way to stay off radar is to live in a cave. Not trying to start an argument, but with all the technology incorporated into todays vehicles you need the computer to decipher all the error codes, if you're uncomfortable with that you should buy yourself a classic car without a computer module.

While I do have respect for your opinions and knowledge, I don't think starting in about conspiracy theories in a thread like this is appropriate. Some opinions are better kept to oneself or in a separate place.

Sorry if I showed any disrespect by feeding into this off-topic conversation ExRoadie, once again my condolences.

General, just by using an online connection you are exposing yourself a million more times than by driving a modern car, the only way to stay off radar is to live in a cave. Not trying to start an argument, but with all the technology incorporated into todays vehicles you need the computer to decipher all the error codes, if you're uncomfortable with that you should buy yourself a classic car without a computer module.

While I do have respect for your opinions and knowledge, I don't think starting in about conspiracy theories in a thread like this is appropriate. Some opinions are better kept to oneself or in a separate place.

First of all, it's not a conspiracy theory. If I said the government was going to use this to spite the masses, that would be a conspiracy theory. I didn't. I didn't even say the government put it there. What we have is something that we already know can, has, and shall again record information that can criminalize someone. There's nothing theoretical about it, nor is there anything conspiratorial about it actually.

All I did was express discontent towards what I consider to be an invasion of privacy. I was willing to leave it at that and have a civil debate about it. What I can't stand is people telling other people that they aren't entitled to their discontent, because I consider that equivalent to a personal attack.

Who says this is a thread hijack anyway? We're discussing blackboxes, which is the title of this thread.

Guest Blooz1

We had a situation here in Ct a couple of years back where a local car rental firm installed blackboxes with satellite links in their cars. These transmitted not only the location of the car, but also every time it was driven over 70MPH!

They'd then charge the customer for speeding!

They actually got away with this for a while until one guy drove a car to Fla, and was charges over $1,000 in speeding charges, after which he then sued 'em! The State Attorney General ruled this practice illegal and ordered the boxes removed!

yea... how would they enforce it if you drove the car in Oklahoma where the speed limit is 80mph is places...?

alot of places speed limits are 75mph so you'd be speeding all the time?;)

Guest Blooz1

Well, this was a local company, and I think over 95% of their business was here in CT. Honestly, I don't remember the details.....

The arguments presented in this thread have more to do with tracking systems that are illegal unless agreed upon by both parties.

For Clarity

The kind of data used by the accident reconstruction company can only be obtained by court order. In the case of Charlie's accident, his truck was impounded due to the fatality so there was a chain of custody involved.

Both sides had to agree along with the judge that the data collected was pertinent to the case before the order was issued. Both sides also agreed to fund the reconstruction since it was likely to produce evidence that could be used by either or both sides in the legal action.

Thanks to everyone for their kind words!

The arguments presented in this thread have more to do with tracking systems that are illegal unless agreed upon by both parties.

For Clarity

The kind of data used by the accident reconstruction company can only be obtained by court order. In the case of Charlie's accident, his truck was impounded due to the fatality so there was a chain of custody involved.

Both sides had to agree along with the judge that the data collected was pertinent to the case before the order was issued. Both sides also agreed to fund the reconstruction since it was likely to produce evidence that could be used by either or both sides in the legal action.

Thanks to everyone for their kind words!

Thank you for the clarification. I hope all works out for your friend's family.