How many pieces of hardware have you fried?

106 members have voted

1. 1.

• none
    • one
    • two
    • three
    • four
    • five
    • six
    • seven
    • eight or more

2 Wanna-be-brand server PSUs, jumped one to test the voltage...instant puff of smoke, acrid odor...and oddly enough I had the munchies afterwords...

The second one was running for 3 months straight and the fan was giving out so I soldered in a new fan in to the pcb, ooops forgot to heatshrink the wiring...short circuit, instant fry.

and I killed a HDD as a demonstration for the first year students of how they worked...formatted it with the top covering off. (And I would have just done I window mod on it, but my teacher also wanted to show them how delicate they were.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

shorted out my current rig hope it was only the mobo that went waiting on ups to get the mobo to the egg to get a new one, possible killed the cpu and ram but the jury is out till i get a replacement board, fried a 6600 from a massive 150% overclock was using the stock hsf with an80 cfm 80mm fan to keep it cool, and i killed a dlink access point by using the wrong power pulg and hitting it with the wrong voltage lol no signal strength after that stepped on a printer broke the paper tray :) AND other thing that i cant remember

Guest Pyro

It amazes me but I have not fried any hardware, now I just knock on wood.

ohh i remember one, well it was my wife actually she was getting the house all nice with some scented candles and such but left one a bit to close to the curtian and as the curtian went up she grabbed a jug of water and just threw it, nevermind the crt screen that was next to the curtians well that got a great big jug of water thrown over it and promptly went pop with a fire ball that put the curtian fire to shame. it was only a light muslin curtian so didn't get out of control i got home and she was halfway through a bottle of red and was badl,y shaken by the whole thing but bought me a lcd to make up for the mess and the dead crt.

fried a Gigabyte 7N400pro and a Chaintech FX5700ultra aau series...

all from a bad bios flash...

1st time I ever flashed a bios and this was on a NF2 that was already a flaky platform...

Had I loaded "Optimized Defaults" it may have lived...?

I flashed the bios and headed back into it to change the 2600 mobiles settings when it let the smoke out and burst into flames at 3am in the morning...

after that it black screened and was dead... I booted it with a fx5200 and got picture...loaded optimised defaults and rebooted...

after that it would cold boot...had to boot it the hit the reset button for it to boot and it wouldnt hold the settings to cmos...so every boot I had to reset all the settings...

RMA'd all of it at Gigabytes request...after a call to them they offered to pay for the card...

After all I was smart enough to flash the bios with a 2400-XP chip and did it exactly the way described...so I made out on that one...;)

they sent me a 7NNXP which was a better board and the Chaintech fx5700 was better than the one I sent...

Cooked a really good running Opteron 165. It ran fine at 2.85 ghz with water cooling. Then I moved it to an air cooled Expert board and it quit while running dual Prime95 while I was upping the clocks. It now fails memory test in both of my DFI boards. I will go back and retest it when I get a chance just to make sure.

Zero for me - though I let a 3000+ slip out of my hands - and about half the pins got bent when it bounced off of my foot. Bent, as in nearly laying flat. A buddy put it under the magnifier, bent them all back - good as new. Lucky.

and I killed a HDD as a demonstration for the first year students of how they worked...formatted it with the top covering off. (And I would have just done I window mod on it, but my teacher also wanted to show them how delicate they were.

I did that in a college class a few years back... formatted with the cover off... Put it all back together and took it home and it worked just fine... for about 10 minutes, then accessing it made windows hang and it started making a weird whining noise when the platters span... I took it apart again and used the top platter as a mirror to shave one morning (too lazy to get up and shave in the bathroom that day)... don't know what happened to it after that...

An OCZ PSU, the OCZ PSU fried two boards, another ASUS board after clearing CMOS with no power on decided not to POST, same thing happened to a gigabyte DS3. I also messed up flashing a BIOS on a DFI DAGF in 2005.

Also four western digital HDs. Not my fault though, they just died because they're piece of crap western digital HDs. :) 5 other hitachi/seagate drives ran nicely in the same system.