Retail Seagate 400GB SATA $99 Free Ship!

MC FLMJIG

GET THE SEAGATE!

Seagate and Hitachi Deskstars(NOT ibm) are known for their reliability, WD is known for failure rate.

WD is the only company whose office I don't need to write the address down for when I go to the post office to RMA something. The sad thing is, my friend didn't have to either.

That's an awesome deal. Go with it, screw WD.

I have Seagate and WD drives and I prefer Seagate but the 500 gig drives from WD are a bit cheaper. Although I did just have one of my WD's crap out...but this is my first from either so both have been pretty good for me.

Thasp calm down on the WD failure bit, will ya?

I've got probably 10 new WD drives that range in age from 16 months to 1 month old, and not a single one of them has ever given me a whisper of failure or issue, they work on all motherboards, with all software, etc.

It's cool to say that YOU'VE had bad experience with WD, but everyone has a bad experience with a particular product. It's no reason to run around like Chicken Little claiming that you'll get colo-rectal cancer from using the product however.

If WD failure was so bad, we'd see it reported everywhere like Brittney Spears' crotch shots, but we don't, because their failure rate is typical of what every other hdd mfg's failure rate is.

Thasp calm down on the WD failure bit, will ya?

I've got probably 10 new WD drives that range in age from 16 months to 1 month old, and not a single one of them has ever given me a whisper of failure or issue, they work on all motherboards, with all software, etc.

It's cool to say that YOU'VE had bad experience with WD, but everyone has a bad experience with a particular product. It's no reason to run around like Chicken Little claiming that you'll get colo-rectal cancer from using the product however.

If WD failure was so bad, we'd see it reported everywhere like Brittney Spears' crotch shots, but we don't, because their failure rate is typical of what every other hdd mfg's failure rate is.

I mention it because in two IRC channels I had people laughing for me choosing WDs when I built my first noncrap computer in 2005, and three seperate I toldyasos for the three seperate failures. I read about WD failure a lot more than I do about other drives. I learned my lesson, and others eventually do when they have a system with more than one brand drive, and one of them is WD.

Just yesterday did I receive a PM on this board regarding a raid failure with WD drives, same product line as the two I had fail, and the third post in this thread has WD failure too.

I have a 250 from WD that compared to the seagate, not only runs about 10c hotter all the time but if you put your finger on it it's always sizzling and vibrating and the seagate is cooler, and sits there calm, just like the hitachis and samsungs I've used.

If seagate is that cheap, go with the safe choice. The cheapest 400 gig drive I've seen is a hitachi 400 gig for $117 new, so a drive of the same general speed and capacity.

Don't just go by me, go by others. Hitachi Deskstars and Seagate drives have an incredible rate of failure compared to maxtor(prior to being bought out)/WD. I think maxtor is universally the worst brand of drive money can buy for reliability.

The new three WDs I have post-RMA and the sizzling 250 haven't failed so far, so perhaps it is just bad batches - it happens. It stops being a coincidence to me when it happens to a lot of people who use more than one brand of drive.

It might be a good Idea to look into the failure rate of specific models rather than brands... ALL HDD manufactureres have at some point put out a drive that just didn't perform well or regularly failed... I've had more than 30 different WD drives, every one put to harsh use, and the only one that's ever gone out was the one I dropped... and i tell you what, WD replaced it for me, and even sent the new one to me before I sent the broken one...

WD are also my first choice... (except since I got 8x 120GB maxtors for $100, cheap but decent hardware deals are always my first choice :-)

WD's RMA policy is amazing I have to say. They send it to you the same day you file the RMA, with two day shipping, opposed to waiting for you to send it in, waiting a week just because, and sending it back with ground. If a drive _does_ fail, you're in good hands.