I just got the Opty 185. Need help pls.

I just bought the opteron 185 2.6ghz duel core chip. I currently have a +3200 2.0ghz chip Using a DFI lanparty NF4 SLI-D board. I put in the new opty and I could not be at my desktop for more then a a few seconds before I would get a blue screen error. I then tried to install a fresh copy of windows XP pro with the new chip in and I blue screened on the windows installation. So I was thinking there must be something wrong with my bios options. Or do I need to install a new bios version all together to get this chip to work. Any ideas?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HAHA no not really, never messed with bios before. Never needed to. I could find out though if it matters. I was just wondering if there was some sort of bios options you had to set after installing a duel core to allow it to run properly.

Well you should find out what you're running and I think it's safe to assume you need to flash your BIOS.

Go read the BIOS thread. :)

When you CTRL ALT DELETE and get your Windows Task Manager in Windows, does it display two cores after it's set to display one graph per core? If not you need a BIOS Flash. If so, you probably need a hard CMOS Clear for at least 10 minutes followed by basic installation (1 stick, etc etc) and get everything running smooth.

Ok i been reading the Bios section and I am confused, there is a program you put on a CD, but can someone give me a step by step explanation on what to do? I have never flashed bios or installed bios or anything like this and want to make sure I do it right. What do I do first? How do I flash the bios, how do I install the stuff off the CD once I have flashed it. Stuff like that. I know that might be alot to ask about but if anyone has a link to a good step by step guide or if you don't mind typing out what to do here that would be great. Thanks for all the help guys.

download and burn TMOD cd.

boot from your optical drive and select your mobo.

then select a bios and press enter to flash it ...

be4 flashing your bios i would redo your build

clear cmos, put 1 stick of ram, and try to install windows. if its stable (prime + memtest then try to add the second stick.

maybe your memory controller on your opty not has strong has your memory controler on your 3200

redo your build 1st and see what happen, had to do that when i jump from my venice to my opty