Where's the water going ? :(

Thasp

I noticed this happens far faster when I turn the computer off.

Still non-moving water evaporates much faster than moving water.

The surface of the water is heated up and turns into water vapor; resulting in loss of water. When the water is constantly mixed/recirculated the individual molecules don't get hot enough to vaporize.

If the cap isn't airtight this will allow the water vapors to escape from the system; with a well sealed cap, the vapors will condensate inside the tank and thus no water is lost.

It's possible you have one or more minuscule leaks that are just slow enough to allow the water to evaporate before the drops are big enough to fall. We had a case like that in our basement plumbing after we installed our ice maker. I noticed water around the ferrule but there was no water on the floor or any surrounding components, which meant it had to've been evaporating before any water fell. We replaced the fitting as soon as possible; within a few weeks the leak had gotten a little worse and was starting to get the floor wet.

I have been noticing the same thing Thasp on my machine. I was going to make a thread about it.

I also get a "swoosh" sound every now and then.

I am using a tline and the water is slowly lowering more and more. With mines it's a bit slower. I may have to refill in like 2 months. But that's not too bad really.

The only two things I can thing of are either evaporation thru the cap, or a super tiny leak like was suggested.

But it's hard to tell either way. I am, using a brass cap from DangerDen so I'm pretty sure it's not the cap.

EDIT: General Septem, by any chance was that the passive version of the XFX 7950 that caught on fire? Ha that's crazy! Must of sucked :( I have the same card I think.

EDIT: General Septem, by any chance was that the passive version of the XFX 7950 that caught on fire? Ha that's crazy! Must of sucked :( I have the same card I think.

Haha, yeah. I actually had to RMA twice. The second one caught on fire, the first one just wouldn't boot. I think it may have been caused by the Thermalright HR-03, but Newegg was very good about the whole RMA process and didn't even charge me a restocking fee (well they refunded it when I complained).

I'm only surprised that graphics cards didn't begin going on fire earlier.. they're beginning to take more power than the CPU itself and it's cooled by something that's 30% as large as a CPU heatsink.

First, the alcohol just scares me. Automotive antifreeze and a couple drops of algaecide from the aquarium aisle will keep you in good shape. Just mix it up as 90% distilled water, 10% anitfreeze, and just put a few (5 or so) drops of algaecide in your loop when you get it close to full.

As for the evaporation, that's a good question. I have never really thought about it. But, suffice it to say that every loop I have ever run has lost certain amounts of fluid over time. As long as you are sure that all fittings are tight, all your tubing is up to par, and your reservior and pump aren't cracked, then it's probably fine. You are on the right track by inspecting the system thoroughly. That's the best precaution you can take right there.

I am using a tline and the water is slowly lowering more and more. With mines it's a bit slower. I may have to refill in like 2 months. But that's not too bad really.

The only two things I can thing of are either evaporation thru the cap, or a super tiny leak like was suggested.

But it's hard to tell either way. I am, using a brass cap from DangerDen so I'm pretty sure it's not the cap.

Any liquid cooling system will lose fluid over time due to evaporation; it's just that 3 weeks seems a bit short for a res (unless it's extremely small), 2-3 months should be about average between top-offs.

Even cars will lose coolant and are usually topped of during annual service/inspection.

I'm only surprised that graphics cards didn't begin going on fire earlier.. they're beginning to take more power than the CPU itself and it's cooled by something that's 30% as large as a CPU heatsink.

It actually wasn't the GPU that caught on fire (although it could well have been due to the HR-03 not having made contact with the core). But the first card did boot up fine with the stock heatsink when I first pulled it out of the box. It just got so hot I couldn't pick it up. So when the second one came, I didn't even bother installing it out of the box, I just put the HR-03 on. I'm thinking it had to've been the HR-03 that killed both cards. I know there was a problem with the rubber "cushpad" not allowing the block to make contact with some GPUs.