Where's the water going ? :(

Thasp

I looked at my reservoir today, it's a tiny bit more than half full. It's a very small one. It was 99% full a few weeks ago when I last filled it.

I keep tissues under where leaks would occur, so I can spot it easily.. nothing. I checked the motherboard, and there's nothing there either, but I don't keep tissues there. If water got on the board, it would be very noticeable.

I keep the radiator in the window with the intake fans up against the screen, so it takes in cold air from outside. I am in NYC so it's freezing this time of year. I see no evidence of condensation, or evaporation, there is no liquid vapor on the radiator or the rad.

Does anyone have a theory as to where the water is going? My best guess is, when I turn the PC off, and the pump isn't going, it evaporates because the radiator is near the window.. but I can't be sure. I only noticed today when I heard some weird noises because the res wasn't filled up all the way above both barbs, so there was swooshing noise.

I have about 70% distilled water, 30% of 90% isopropyl alcohol mixed in.. probably more like 85/15. Is it the alcohol that is evaporating? I put that in the system in the first week with the pump on high to clean all the crap out, but in a 50/50 mixture. Now I kept it in there because it worked on a friend's system. He used plain distilled water and got a few nasty things in his loop, mixing 70/30 alcohol seemed to fix it without waiting for shipping on cooling additive.

Guest thespin

I have MT-40 which is the consistency of anti-freeze and it happens to me too. So if I had to guess, I would say that there are tiny, thirsty, tippy toeing thieves who come by when we are asleep and party on coolant ...

you loop may not have had all the airbubbles removed when you filled it so over time they got pumped out and went in to the res.

Maybe evaporation through the tubing itself... I dont know.

Couldn't be through the tubing.

If the reservoir cap isn't tight that could easily result in evaporation; only other answer would be a tiny leak.

Guest RohypnoL

It *COULD* be through the tubing because tubing is slightly porous. How much liquid is leaving your line every day, though?

Right now it's relatively tight, if I turn the res upside down there isn't a leak.

I noticed this happens far faster when I turn the computer off. I don't know how much is leaving the line everyday, I only notice when I wake up and the res has a bunch of water stuck to its sides, or when I hear swoosh sounds in the res because the water is ever so slightly below the top barb.

I thought it was a small leak, but the tissue would have caught that, and I would have seen it easily. :(

Guest RohypnoL

Well, do you have to refill your line every day? If so, I seriously doubt that's evaporation, unless you're Res is a fast food cup and your PC is outside in the sun! You must have a leak somewhere in there...