PSU only as good as AC feeding it

Devil 07

I live in an area of Nashville which has pretty bad power regulation and my PSU was buzzing under heavy load. I purchased one of these line conditioners a few weeks ago and it made a huge difference in the performance of the PSU. No more buzzing. They cost a bit more than a normal power strip, but I think the advantages far out-weigh the cost. My higher overclocks have been more stable than before the line conditioner and the PSU doesn't buzz anymore. We use line conditioners similar to this in the studio where I work and figured I would see how it helps my AC problem at home. I would recommend something like this to anyone looking to feed "clean" AC voltage to their PSU.

Oops, admin please change heading. I forgot about the use of the "Recommended!" heading.

Power fluctuations are bad for any electronics including LCDs of course.

Good recommendation.

Yep. The owner of the studio where I work had the local power company come out and put in a new pole and transformer from the main transmission lines so the place could be isolated from the rest of the area. Its then fed 3-phase into a balanced power room to supply the studio.

A bit overkill for what we are all trying to do with our PC's, but just an example of how important clean power is.

I'm sure this dude doesn't want to claim credit for educating a doofis like me but this is a damn fine read and easy to understand guide that will help people in a similar situation as the OP, or anyone who wants to learn how to protect their computer..

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=74747

BTW, I have been looking for a good (and lifetime warranty) 2 stage line conditioner for ever so if any power guru happens to visit this thread please drop a recommendation.

Ugly

this thread is linked to a question thats been rattlin round my brain for a bit the lead connected to my pc is the same as my HT amp which i just upgraded to £50 sheathed IEC lead is there any benefit in purchasing one for my rig?

A shielded IEC won't really do much for you unless your in an area with lots of RF interference, like a hospital. But even then hospital grade electronics aren't affected by RF the way lower classed FCC devices are. Save the money you were gonna spend on a shielded IEC for some other upgrade.

If your looking for some solid power conditioning products look here. The best in the business

Furman also makes great products.