Help with Northbridge cooling on DFI NF4-D

spiroh

Hello all,

I purchased an Evercool cooler for the northbridge chipset and while I removed the stock air cooler from the board i could not clean the chip completely because it had some hard residue on it. I tried using alcohol but that didn't do the trick and I did not want to try something more abrasive. Any ideas how I can clean the residue off my chipset so I can get better cooling times with the Evercool? I'm pretty much getting stock numbers and I'm pretty sure it has a lot to do with the fact that I cannot touch well with the chipset.

I didn't have any trouble, what I did was break it loose while the chipset was still hot. What I did was not advisable, however, as the chipset was hot because the computer was still on. I was playing with the heat sink and it rocked, breaking it loose from the bridge. Since you already have the stock HSF off, though, I don't think you can really use the heat of the chipset to your advantage.

Goo-Gone or Goof-Off....

either will work and are citrus based... it will take that right off...then clean good with alcohol..

I always clean both surfaces with Goo-Gone and then the alcohol swabs and havent had any issues with temps this way and have been cooler than with justy alcohol

Goo-Gone or Goof-Off....

either will work and are citrus based... it will take that right off...then clean good with alcohol..

I always clean both surfaces with Goo-Gone and then the alcohol swabs and havent had any issues with temps this way and have been cooler than with justy alcohol

Yeah, definitely. Maybe I should've edited my own post but the part about the alcohol percent I was referring to after you have cleaned it with acetone. :P

I had the same problem. I used my fingernail to "scrape" what I could, which was most of the big pieces. Then I gently used a pad (semi-rough cloth) used for cleaning stick free pans + Isopropyl Alcohol . It worked just fine. Took some time, but I cleaned it off good.

i did what i could with my alcohol, then stopped. didnt want to ruin my core.

but theres are some of it on my stock nb heatsink, lol, i think i created more trouble than ever.

Some bits of the NB core? I doubt that. It's probably just some of the dried up chunks of paste they used when they put it on. A chipped core would mean probable death to the board.

With whatever you use to clean the bulk of the stuff off with, I suggest using q-tips / cotton swabs. They allow you to control the application, do some scrubbing, and manage to keep from damaging anything with their soft tips.