8800 worthwhile?

suedenim

I'm "upgrading" to an NF4 SLI-DR mobo. All I need is the GPU. Based on the kit in my sig and assuming that my CPU peaks at 2.4/2.5 GHz is it worth investing in the 8800GTS?

I've seen benchies that suggest the CPU will be a major bottleneck but there is also the issue of DX10, future-proofing and 8800 SLI down the line.

This card rocks but the sensible voice inside says settle down get an X1950 and do a complete system rebuild in 2 to 3 years. Right now though the big kid that's also in there is screaming and bouncing off the walls.

Psych -DFI- ologists help me.:confused:

I'm "upgrading" to an NF4 SLI-DR mobo. All I need is the GPU. Based on the kit in my sig and assuming that my CPU peaks at 2.4/2.5 GHz is it worth investing in the 8800GTS?

I've seen benchies that suggest the CPU will be a major bottleneck but there is also the issue of DX10, future-proofing and 8800 SLI down the line.

This card rocks but the sensible voice inside says settle down get an X1950 and do a complete system rebuild in 2 to 3 years. Right now though the big kid that's also in there is screaming and bouncing off the walls.

Psych -DFI- ologists help me.:confused:

THE CPU MAY BOTTLENECK IT, but it will still perform exceptionally well compared to all other single cards (minus the 8800 gtx)... I wouldn't worry about dx10 just yet, by the time that becomes a factor many other dx10 compatable cards will be on the market. What kind of monitor are you using? Because you may be able to spend a lot less to get 60+ fps than you would to get 100+ fps if you are using a lower resolution (meaning you wont even notice the difference)

The higher the resolution you play at, the less a bottleneck the cpu becomes. I'm running an 8800GTX on a single-core Sempron at the moment and 1920x1200 in Oblivion is quite playable, even with much of the eyecandy turned on.

And that's only for games that are cpu-intensive, which most games aren't terribly so. And with a decent dual core (which you have) you'll be fine.

In addition, the GTS is about on par with the X1950 at low resolutions, and beats it at high resolutions (generally, not sure on numbers of course) so depending on the price differential it definitely makes sense to grab the nvidia in my opinion.

Hey Suedenim,

Take a look at this video card. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814150202

It's the XFX GeForce 7900GS factory overclocked to 525/1550 with a rebate. I just picked one up myself a couple days ago and I can't wait to try it out. Pretty good deal for the performance I think if you aren't playing on higher resolutions than 1280x1024 which is what I play at. I hope this might help you decision making. :)

If you have the money, and its what you want the simple answer is yes, especially going from a 6800 :) Itll also be a very future proof card, buy it now and have it when you do your major system rebuild, then you can pick up a nice 24inch + widescreen. read this also....