Can't decide between 360 or PS3? Check it.

Yukon Trooper

I have read that the video chip in the PS3 is just a rebadged GeForce 7800 GTX can this be true? If so Sony got the short end of the stick it looks like. Untill the 8800 realy had the advantage with AA and high res for single card games. Nvidia made things up and then some with good optimisations and SLI but that is not a big factor in consoles where the game is optimised to the card/console.

Some of those videos and pics could look much better for the PS3 if they had the same Gamma and note the Wii can look better too with optinal video adapter- composit if memory serves.

How the tests were run are going to really effect the outcome to some extent. It looks like the multi prossing abilitys of the cell are likly too ahead of its time to do it any good yet no suprise their. I was hoping for a little more at least for the start microsoft needs some compitition-you have to rember that windoes and 360 overlap and they are working to knock out all competition including anything with open GL. If they manage that it will be microsoft or microsoft for games.

Here is another test with some good comparisons and clocer gamma.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6162742/

For the price point, I say go with Xbox 360.

Personally, I really want a PS3, Not for the features...not for the slide controllers, not for the Graphics...not for the blu-ray.

I want Final Fantasy XIII. I honestly doubt I will get it. But I'll get a 360, and the PS2 port of the game.

I think you're right on this one. It's cheap and fun. What more does the normal consumer ask for?

this is the big selling point...and we are going to see that while 'next gen graphics' are great, the gameplay is the ultimate factor that consumers will spend the money on (this is a big reason that Guitar Hero games for PS2 are astoundingly hot sellers, even @ $80 for game + guitar).

people bag on the Wii for graphics but I never expected the Wii to compete with the other two next-gen consoles. Like pc games, the whole graphics thing is overrated, and overstated.

Games with great graphics are a dime a dozen but there's been no serious revolution in gameplay until Guitar Hero came out, and now the Wii and it's neat control scheme have one-upped it in a sense and people are drawn to it....more than they are to 'next gen graphics'.

Sure the 360 and PS3 will sell well, but I have this feeling that the Wii has already caught on, and will grow more than the other two. The controls are revolutionary (and downright fun until you bust a $400 plate glass window in your living room) as is the 'virtual console' bit. Momma and I want one for this feature alone (the rest of it including the controls are just added bonus).

I think most of us that have grown up on video games are bored/tired of the whole "next game" that is coming out that is really nothing but a re-hash of every previous game but with a new slick game feature or two and fresh new next-gen graphics. Mouse & kb fps? Yawn. Controller button-mashing fighting games? Boring after about 5 hours. Joystick + buttons for sports games? Been there done that since I was a kid and got our first Atari 2600. Gamepad/analog stick for console FPS? I'd rather have brain cancer honestly.

I'm pretty excited about getting a Wii. I wanted a 360, but wasn't really all that excited...I just wanted it for mostly "next-gen" hockey and racing games. Real excited because I might actually enjoy FPS games or other games I normally can't stand on consoles. PC gaming isn't all that fantastic for me anymore. PS3 in my opinion is too litte, too late and will spend all of it's life trying to catch up to Xbox360 (and the Wii I suppose).

I still can't help feeling...a little less than masculine at the thought of swinging around that Wii controller...but then again I felt really foolish the first time I strapped on the guitar controller in Guitar Hero (now the neighbors can kiss my %#@$# because I'M GONNA ROCK AND ROLL ALL NIGHT! heh).

wii FTW!! it may look worse (but not BAD), and control needs some time to get used to (why the heck do u wanna play FPS games like COD3 on a wii??), but its F-U-N. for most people anyway. like myself :)

im trying to get a deal over boxing day here in canada, and i dont think i'll only buy 1-2 game per year... if i buy nearly 10games a year for the PC, the worst that can happen is to split the budget to 5-5... 5 for PC (crysis being one of them), and 5 for the Wii... zelda and eragon (flying a dragon wit the controller) and star wars (lightsaber. nuf said) new game next year will be wicked.............

edit:

oh and all that for $250CAD, and without the need of buying an HDTV to feel *complete* wit ur "next-gen" console...