Dual Fans? Another Stupid Question...

wamason

Hey everyone, this is my first post here, but I've been visiting the forum(s) for about a month now and I've found some very useful information. Now I have a question of my own.

I haven't experimented with this yet, but I'd like to know if anyone else has, and if so, what were the results.

I'm using a Thermaltake Volcano 7 (No +). I know it's not the best, but It was given to me about a week ago. Anyways, for anyone who is not familiar with it, the Heatsink is rather small (still larger than an oem AMD heatsync). And it uses an 80mm Fan.

My question is: Has anyone ever tried stacking fans (placing one 80mm fan directly on top of another, firing in the same direction)? Would this increase airflow (I don't car about noise, I've worked in car audio for 8 years and am deaf anyway)?

If anyone is wondering, I'll provide my current PC config for reference.

AthlonXP 2100 Model 8 (Thoroughbred)

Biostar M7VIT Pro MB w/ VIA KT-400 Chipset (just sent a Soyo Dragon Ultra KT-333 in for repair)

1GB Kingston DDR333 RAM

XFX GeForce 4 4600 Ti GPU

Onboard Audio & LAN

Two 80GB Western Digital 8mb Caviar Ultra ATA 100 HDD's

Lite-On 52x32x52 CDRW

Ahanix Platinum XP Case w/ 4 80mm fans & 2 120mm fans

If you need anymore info than that, let me know.

Thanks

i have not done it myself but it will only add a few cfm if any and probably wont cool much better if your wanting more cooling get a vantec tornado 80mm fan and mount it on the heatsink very load but good cooling

Dont do it! If you put a fan ontop of another fan, the air from the firsts pulls on the second fans blades and the air from the second pushes on the first ones blades, thus slowing them both down, if you dont beleve me, try it, I would sugest finding a good way you mount the fan in your case that will blow across the cpu/heatsink, and by the way, a valcano 7+ is a pretty good cooler, try mounting it with acr3 or 5, it will lower your temps!

Edited by asus

Dont do it! If you put a fan ontop of another fan, the air from the firsts pulls on the second fans blades and the air from the second pushes on the first ones blades, thus slowing them both down, if you dont beleve me, try it, I would sugest finding a good way you mount the fan in your case that will blow across the cpu/heatsink, and by the way, a valcano 7+ is a pretty good cooler, try mounting it with acr3 or 5, it will lower your temps!

what about the old Orbs? Weren't those stacked HSF's, with 2 fans? I think they were by thermaltake, the same company that makes the volcanoes.

The Volcano I have is not a "Plus" series, but I think it will get the job done. I plan on using Artic Silver 3 as well. As far as a fan on the side of the heat sink, any thoughts there? I have several old fans from Pentium MMX processors (fairly small) that would easily attach to the side of the heatsink, but would that defeat the purpose?

Thanks,

80mm? go with a 92mm tornado with a 80-92mm converter, and i don't know about putting fans on the side, it might work if u could figure out a way to mount them but u would want them sucking air out since the cpu fan is blowing down on it.

I think I've decided on a course of action. I'll mount a 90mm fan in my two lower 5.25" bays, so that it will fire toward the processor/heatsink. This might help draw more cool air in with another fan blowing right on the CPU fan/heatsink.