PS3 vs Xbox360

Onixman

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you should re-read about GT4 HD as it's almost cancelled but they are trying to piece together some downloadable junk to save face and not piss everyone off.

to me, it's going to be a butchered affair that was salvaged from bad decision making and the lack of a truly polished online service.

It was already butchered the way they orginally wanted the game to be, its was pretty much like EA forcing us to pay a few dollars for new tracks and cars, there was enough complaints about it that Poly decided to drop it because they (I hope) understand that they would loose some fans if they went that direction and decided to just cancel it, go for GT5 and but like you said salvage it but still release it as just a gloified "concept" demo. You already paied $600 bucks for the system and having this as a demo will keep some people happy like me if I did have a PS3 right now.

Anyways WII or 360 now :) my friend got a PS3 yesterday, the Metreon in SF had a few 60gb in so my friend took the bus there and got one (just shows how much people really want it lol) and hes probably enjoying it but he does like console games way more than I do.

Politbureau

You just covered 99.999% of what I wanted with this topic. I think Happy Games is still a little mad with what Sony did, and how "humble" they were, so I was reading carefully what he was writing (even though he's one of the best guys in troubleshooting here, no questions at all).

Even so, as you I'm a big Sony fan just because of the franchises as you wrote. As I said in this topic, I really don't like the blockbusters that 360 have (COD3, Halo), even though I never played or seen Gears of Wars. I just might lead my decision by the less greedy console (I really don't want to pay a few bucks every moth to Microsoft nor Sony, and online gameplay ain't for me.).

I think that still the major fact will be if in Q2 2007 the games on PS3 will be better looking after a few patches and better development care, if Gran Turismo 5 will be a pack to be bought apart on internet of a full content DVD/Blu Ray as I would like it to be. Also a HUGE player on this match will be the new RPGs from Squaresoft. They were the reason why I first bought my PS1.

As you I will wait to see all that. But after this topic I really am looking more carefully at all games and content for the Xbox 360. I didn't like the first console, but as far as I can see every owner loves the new 360! Only on a single customer review I saw a guy complaining that grafics didn't evolve that much, but of course he would say that even for the PS3.

I believe Sony has slipped but they still have room for improvements. I'm not in a rush since the price is way over the top and every console they put on the shelves just disappear. I would like to thank you all for you patience, time and effort to bring the best info you have to this topic.

Just wish I had cash to own both. I'm really disappointed with PS3. I thought it would be the "one ring to rule em all". Guess it's more intelligent to say "one Box to rule em all"!

I think PS3's hardware is just too good for the software. Once it's been out for a year, like Xbox 360, the playing field will be more even, with more games that "fully" take advantage of the hardware. I am not rushing to get one, I play my PS2 about twice a year, GrandTourismo of course ;)

People People, let the PS3 be out for more than two weeks....jumping to some hefty conclusions already. No game is optimized to run the Cell CPU to its fullest, yes it will be hard to program so it fully utilizes it, but they do get paid to do these things and i think they will figure things out. I own a PS3, the Blu-Ray on 1080i is super sweet. Controller, doesnt feel as hefty as the xbox controller but i have always liked PS controller designs better anyways. AND have you seen Fight Night yet!?!? Don't tell me graphics are better for the xbox, that game is being launched here in Dec. Developers didnt have a whole lot of time to get that game ready, and it already passes the 360 graphics. Thing is debating PS3 and Xbox360 is like debating between Democrats and Republicans.

Yes the commercials are freaking stupid

PC > all

I had a chance to compare 3 games which are currently available for both consoles. Rainbow Six Vegas, Call of Duty 3 and Need for Speed Carbon.

Didn't know Rainbow Six was out yet for PS3.....3/1/07

Didn't know Rainbow Six was out yet for PS3.....3/1/07
LOL yeah, that was a typo, sorry. The other game I had to compare was Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, not RS:V. I've been blasting away at RS since I got it and have been a little preoccupied I suppose.

I've updated my original thread to reflect the change. FYI, I didn't compare the graphics or gameplay in Marvel:UA - I had a hard tiem getting into it (not being a comic fan), and the graphics weren't as good as COD or NFS, so I based my comparison off them solely.

yes it will be hard to program so it fully utilizes it, but they do get paid to do these things and i think they will figure things out.

Historically this isn't always true. Game developers have opted not to develop for certain consoles because the time and effort (which translates to money) isn't worth the potential extra market. I would say this is true now more than ever, as I suspect that many would-be and actual PS3 owners also own a 360. Spending a lot of time, effort and money to cater to a small fraction of their market is how businesses die.

You just covered 99.999% of what I wanted with this topic. I think Happy Games is still a little mad with what Sony did, and how "humble" they were, so I was reading carefully what he was writing (even though he's one of the best guys in troubleshooting here, no questions at all).
Sony's marketing and attitude before the launch was a little arrogant, if you ask me. It's not even an issue of the console itself, but their attitude towards gamers - they must think we're all a bunch of idiots if they thought we would blindly follow them into "the next generation." A little frustrating to say the least, especially when Sony was coming from behind and really needed to win back frustrated gamers already torqued by the delays. H_G's feelings are totally justified and bang on, if you ask me.

Even so, as you I'm a big Sony fan just because of the franchises as you wrote. As I said in this topic, I really don't like the blockbusters that 360 have (COD3, Halo), even though I never played or seen Gears of Wars. I just might lead my decision by the less greedy console (I really don't want to pay a few bucks every moth to Microsoft nor Sony, and online gameplay ain't for me.).
Like I said there will always be a few games for one console that aren't available for the other. But any one franchise still only produces what? 1 game a year max - sometimes 2. And if there are more, they aren't generally that great anyway. So choosing a console based one on or two big franchises that churn out 2-3 games every two years is not really all that sensible. Xbox 360 still has more games available and more in the pipeline. Plus most of the major game developers have started developing primarily in the Visual Studio environment. This means more and more games are being developed to take advantage of the 360 first - and then ported to the PS3 as an afterthought. For the mainstream gamer, this means better graphics and earlier release dates for 360 owners.

Even if online play is an afterthought for you, there are thousands of gamers who are devoted to the Live community. This is a "power in numbers" thing, and it speaks loudly to the developer community, who will always weigh such factors when bringing new titles to market. This power means better games and more online support for 360 owners.

I think that still the major fact will be if in Q2 2007 the games on PS3 will be better looking after a few patches and better development care, if Gran Turismo 5 will be a pack to be bought apart on internet of a full content DVD/Blu Ray as I would like it to be. Also a HUGE player on this match will be the new RPGs from Squaresoft. They were the reason why I first bought my PS1.
I think the graphics quality issue is rather a moot one. For the reasons I stated before, I think it will be at least a year or more before games start taking advantage of the PS3s processing power, and even then I think it will be a neck and neck race. The simple fact is that the PS3 is harder to develop games for. The compiler software is expensive and buggy, and until there are more people who own PS3s, developers are going to take it slow. If you were them, what console would you develop for? The one with hundreds of thousands of owners, which has a mature and robust online gaming community to promote and support your product, or the console with a few thousand owners, which has no online community to push sales growth or expansion? Simple economics really.

As you I will wait to see all that. But after this topic I really am looking more carefully at all games and content for the Xbox 360. I didn't like the first console, but as far as I can see every owner loves the new 360! Only on a single customer review I saw a guy complaining that grafics didn't evolve that much, but of course he would say that even for the PS3.
Of course, only time will tell. However I can honestly say from the list of games in development for each platform that there is only one game that I am looking forward to on the PS3 that 360 won't have, and that's MGS:GOTP. That's pretty sad. Every other game I'm interested in has a 360 counterpart that will - without question - be better looking and more comprehensive an experience on the 360. And don't trust what you read on the net (including this!). Go to your local electronics store and try out both systems. I guarantee you will see the difference - and maybe feel it too, if the PS3 controller hurts your wrists as much as mine ;)

I believe Sony has slipped but they still have room for improvements. I'm not in a rush since the price is way over the top and every console they put on the shelves just disappear. I would like to thank you all for you patience, time and effort to bring the best info you have to this topic.

Just wish I had cash to own both. I'm really disappointed with PS3. I thought it would be the "one ring to rule em all". Guess it's more intelligent to say "one Box to rule em all"!

Sony will certainly be playing catch-up for quite some time - a position made all the more difficult by their late entry into the market. They really needed a knockout launch to propel them into the new year and drive future desire and fuel growth.

It's going to take a lot of work for Sony to win back the gaming community. I think we're all feeling a little bit alienated and let-down. They really need to get more units into gamers hands to spur discussion and debate and drive the brand forward. I find it hard to believe this is going to be possible considering the $300 loss they're taking on every unit sold.

Two thousand-dollar consoles are a bit excessive. Bear in mind that I don't own this PS3, I'm only demoing it. I'll admit my hopes were high when I tore into the packaging a few days ago, but now, after the initial euphoria has worn off, it's all feeling a bit tired.

I've already gone back to my 360 to play some more RS:Vegas and Gears of War. One thing I'm sure of - when it comes time to give the PS3 back next week, I won't be sorry to see it go.

Well Polit about game variety...

I dont really care if there are 2 million games for each console. I bought my PS1 solely because of FF7 and GT2. After that there were 2 more Final Fantasies, 2 Breath of Fire and about 10 "funny" games, like twisted metal and Bust a Move. I would easily buy a PS3 just because of Final Fantasy and GT5, knowing that I made the best choice ever.

I don't like FPS AT ALL (wich seems to be the Xbox great lead), and apart from ForzaMotorsport (thanks for the hint Happy Games). there is NO other game at all that interests me on the 360. The only FPS I am expecting is Crysis of course. Except for reviews, I've never seen Gears of Wars, but I'm looking foward that. Capcom for instance ain't "attached" to Sony as Squaresoft is, and yet I have seen no word of Breath of Fire for the Xbox 360.

I need some options on MY gaming style! And that is hard to find on the 360. Any ideas? No FPS! The only thing I hate more then Counter Strike is Bush itself!

And also, by the way fanboys are buying the PS3, in no time we would see lots of consoles all around the world. When the heat go down, if Sony end up launching a PS3 without the Blu Ray drive with a price close to the Xbox Core, it would be a rampage just because of the fans the PS have adn all those who felt it was overpriced. One of my big issues is if the price will go down in six months, knowing that people are buying U$1000,00 consoles like water on the desert on Ebay. Imagine the 20G version at U$399,00... thats a whole new scenario