PS3 vs Xbox360

Onixman

Yes, this is the same old question...

I am thinking about getting me a PS3. I've waited to see its horsepower but i got disappointed by its numbers. It is capable of only 10% more gigaflops then the 360 and its GPU does not have unified shader technology.

Why am i asking this on a DFI forum? Simply because its the only place where people are really hardware experts. Most important: they say "i dont know" when they dont. Congrats

About the problem: As far as i've seen the PS3 has lots of failures, mainly the blu-ray option. Its not even twice an HD DVD and it has half the speed. The Cell core aint 8 cores: its 7 cores (1 is a reserve) and only 1 is a PowerPC based core, wich leads to lots of weak paralellism that might take some effect only after a couple of years due to programs writen in a more eficient way for paralell processing.

The only thing that still holds me to PS3 are the games: Gran Turismo and Final Fantasy are my main goal and they wont come up to the Xbox360. Even though the price is over the top, it migh just go down to its normal place (U$600 to U$700) and then come down a lil bit, as some pirate programs might appear to make gaming a little cheaper (specially in Brazil where you might not want to buy a game for U$150,00 after all the taxes and stuff). My goal will be the Premium PS3 for U$500.00 by 2Q7. Is that a dream?

What do you experts have to say!?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69921

the Xbox360 is already out, has plenty of games, more games coming, and it is actually a superior hardware unit. The multicore cpu in the 360 is a lot more robust and made for out-of-order executions that games need

the PS3's main chip is simply an 8-core DSP (a DSP is the same chip that converts analog to digital in a cd or dvd player...pretty useless for anything except explicit instruction routines...like a RISC processor for a Mac etc).

the 360 has the stronger gpu

the 360 has superior online service

Forza Motorsport II will be as good if not better than anything PS3 can put out in the GT series...and I just read today you ain't getting GT5 until next year sometime since they cancelled GT4 HD.

I own the 360. I won't be buying a PS3. I will be buying a Wii.

Guest r3d c0m3t

Well, I wouldn't call myself an "expert" rather an expert in training, however to consider a PS3 or Xbox 360 is a simple task. Depending on what you prefer, you should go on that thought. In the sense of a somewhat unbiased opinion you should consider the following:

1. The PS3 cannot upconvert or downconvert HD signals (i.e. if you have a game maximized for 1080p only and your HDTV maxes out at 1080i, the game will most likely default to 480p.

2. For a company to claim the "next generation" begins with the PS3 is foolishness.

3. The games aren't that great.

4. The graphics aren't that great, yet.

5. IMO the Cell architecture will be bound irrational due to the fact it's going to be hella difficult to program for, so the graphics will continue to look a little below that of 360 standards.

6. And finally, what's going on with those commercials? A baby crying...a PS3 levitating? Play B3yond? Beyond what? Wtf was Sony thinking?

So, you'd be better off considering a Wii or an Xbox 360 both are much more fun and pleasing to look at.

My recommendation is to wait at least till the hardware lowers in price. Right now my work is having alot of issues with Sony's networking. Plus its takes at least 1-2yrs for developers to "catch up" in writing stable code for new consoles. Get an X360, its cheaper, plus u dont have to work out like the Wii.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69921

the Xbox360 is already out, has plenty of games, more games coming, and it is actually a superior hardware unit. The multicore cpu in the 360 is a lot more robust and made for out-of-order executions that games need

the PS3's main chip is simply an 8-core DSP (a DSP is the same chip that converts analog to digital in a cd or dvd player...pretty useless for anything except explicit instruction routines...like a RISC processor for a Mac etc).

the 360 has the stronger gpu

the 360 has superior online service

Forza Motorsport II will be as good if not better than anything PS3 can put out in the GT series...and I just read today you ain't getting GT5 until next year sometime since they cancelled GT4 HD.

I own the 360. I won't be buying a PS3. I will be buying a Wii.

I thought that the DSP was a seperate circuit from the DAC. In a standard analog amplifier the digital signal input would go through the digital signal processor first, then it would pass through the d/a converter, through the LPF>VC, and finally through the analog amplification.

However if one is running a digital amplifier then there is no d/a conversion neccesary, as it would just go through the dsp>digital amp>LPF>output.

In a cd/dvd player is the loop any different than that of an amplifier?

Well, do not overreact.

I do know that the Cell aint that powerfull and that 3 PowerPCs are going to be stronger for now. The main question is if within time PS3 will be better or worse in grafics. Im pretty sure it will be much better then PS2 (wich i believe to be a waste of time if you have a decent PC, except for guitar hero and Final Fantasies).

Also as i said, GT5 and Final Fantasy 13 are amazing games to play. I really enjoy some old Snes games just because they are total fun. Cmon, I finished FF7 9 times for PC and 3 times on PS1 and tha last one of it was last month. Wii wont be an option for me. I really like the PS3 controles having all those features and i think the fun factor will be great (too bad we do not have the rumble anymore...) I really dont know many games for Xbox360 except for Gears of Wars (or something like that). Maybe this racing game is also good, ima check it out. I love the 360 concept of multimedia center and conectivity with PC. Dam you Microsoft, there must be aliens working for you lol.

On the other hand, Xbox's games tend to be a lot of "american" games. FPS and action aren't really my style. I like Squaresoft RPGs for me and some racing/soccer games to enjoy with friends. If by any chances the 360 had Xenosaga or FF I would buy it right away. So im between a great solid system with far superior concepts (3 actual cores, Hd dvd, conectivity, unified shaders and so on) and the fun factor that PS3 might add since my beloved games are for this platform and it's new controller interface must be great.

Any "replacements" i might find for those PS3 games? Ima take a look at this Forza Motorsport to see how it is.

I thank you for all the answers

Go to a friends house or go to a ebgames/best buy and test out each system. Find for yourself which one you like better. Specs don't make the systems fun, but flaws do make them irksome.

I have found the ps3 controller to be a bit flimsy after using it for 10 minutes at an ebgames. From what I hear you must sync it via usb cable with each game you play, sounds like a big hassle to me. I have an xbox 360 wired usb controller which I use in zsnes all the time on windows and linux, its very comfortable, and i like the trigger buttons, it also has a mic port on the bottom of it (although I'm not sure if it can be utilized in windows/linux).

Based on just the controllers I'd choose the xbox 360, but I wouldn't be able to make a real decision since the rest of my knowledge on the 360 and ps3 is second hand.

The best advice I can give you is to test them out for yourself and disregard specifications, they're both so powerful the differences are insignificant. Does it make a difference if one of the systems can get an extra 2.7fps at 1080p res? No, not really...

EDIT: btw 480i = "standard definition" resolution; 640x480. 1080p = 1920x1080 resolution that is non-interlaced, meaning each horizontal line is individual and not doubled, kinda like that progressive scan gimmickry in dvd players.

I just read that GT4 HD will be a free downloadable content now which is pretty cool, I may just want to buy a PS3 to play that until GT5 and the next GTA.

But I would personally right now pass on both the PS3 and 360 and just get a WII which I'll be getting soon, the current games out for PS3 aren't great and the only 360 game I'm interested is Gears of War but I rarely play console games. My last console game was Okami and that has to be one of the best PS2 games for 2006.

Since i have to wait till the shelves are full once more, prices drop at least U$100 and piracy evolves a little bit, I just might want to take a look at 360s games. About the guy talking about GT4 HD, i just heard the oposite. You have to pay about 50 cents for each car you want.

Thats just ridiculous!!! There are 750 cars on that game! For the race tracks you must pay from U$1 to U$4,50. Add that cost and you will have to buy another console just to complete your pack. RIdiculous!!!

If Sony starts being greedy with this console i might really move to 360, although I really dont like having to pay for Microsoft just to be online. Those are consoles, not MMORPGs!

Any more thoughts about that? And once again, some say that because Sony loses about U$150 on each console they wont lower the price for a looooong time. What do you think?

And thanks for the link Happy Games. Its pretty clear to me too that 360 is the winner. I must wait some more to see if PS3 improves. The dark enviroment with explosion light effects amazed me on 360. PS3 doesnt seem to evolve on this side of the trailer. If The price stay that high, GT becomes a MMORPG and console grafics do not evolve Squaresoft migh just lose a great fan... I wonder if early Xboxes games were also not so impressive and they evolved