Robbed

Spring2188

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CC? I'm CC and it's a heavier liability than you think. In Texas, you must: 1) Believe that you or your family was in imminent, mortal danger and 2) you must have exhausted all possibilities for escape...including leaving your home. Even if you do pull the trigger with both of those pre-requisites fulfilled, you'll often be slapped with a wrongful death suit from the family of the offender. Oftentimes, a CC individual will escape jail only to be indebted to the family for half a million dollars.

Boobytrapped computers are used all the time by drug traffickers, terrorists, etc. Computer forensics experts deal with exploding rigs, self-erasing HDDs, and other crazy stuff all the time.

I wouldn't worry about data-mining unless you didn't secure your sensitive info. If you did, the average moron thief wouldn't know how to get to it, let alone have the resources to utilize (like electron microscopes or expensive decryption software) for data recovery.

Best to get renter's insurance...sorry to hear about all this. The problems I can't ever understand is:

1. Does the common thief even know what he just lifted...or the value thereof? I don't know of any geeks turned petty thieves.

2. If someone busts into your pad with the intention of robbing you...why take the rig?? Unless the thing is gold-plated, the resale value of a stolen rig isn't that great, and I would think that a savvy pawn shop owner would know something is up if Johnny B. Dumbass shows up with a tricked out rig for sale.

EDIT: Unless the deadbolts were really crappy, they worked on that door pretty hard to get it open. Would have made lots of noise. Ask the neighbors.

Mississippi has a generous "home and life" protection law.

If someone has entered your house "without prior approval for an unlawful action" you have the right to defend yourself, family and property up to and including deadly force.

This covers everything from burglary to home-invasion.

It does not cover you if you get drunk playing poker and blast someone because they bluffed you and won the hand or actually cheated(cases in North Mississippi).

Additionally, your vehicle is considered an extension of your home so you're allowed to have a concealed weapon in your vehicle. It's considered smart to tell any officer of the presence of the weapon during a traffic stop.

Additionally, your vehicle is considered an extension of your home so you're allowed to have a concealed weapon in your vehicle. It's considered smart to tell any officer of the presence of the weapon during a traffic stop.

aww wheres the fun in that :P

Maine has some odd laws to say the least. Mostly regarding vehiclular transport of weapons, cannot be loaded, can only be concealed if the driver and or passengers cannot access the weapon (I.E. trunk). As far as break ins or home invasions, it is very similair to ex's example of mississipi, but it has to be justifiable force, you can wound them under almost any circumstances, but if you kill them your life had better be in direct danger. Here we can sue there family for making a mess though.

wow...that really sucks that u were robbed...sorry for your loss man.

i just bought a 42" plasma, and was thinking of all the stuff i have too, and what a drag it would be if it were stolen.

However in my case there is always someone home..but renters insurance might not be a bad idea...

I do believe you need to provide reciepts for all that you want to claim...and you can also have the policy upgrade to provide "replacement value" as opposed to them telling you, we will pay you 800.00 for your 2000.00 plasma because of depreciation.

anyways...i feel for you bro...but, its only stuff, and you can replace it. At least you, and/or your loved ones were not hurt.