X2 or Opty??

Guest synergy_merged

Guest synergy

I'm sure this has already been asked, but I searched and couldn't find a great answer. I am looking at upgrading my cpu and was wondering if it would be better to go with the X2 or an Opty (probably the 175). I do plan on overclocking it and would like a cpu that will allow the best overclock. Right now I have my 3200+ at 2500Mhz. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking at the same kind of upgrade after christmas and will definately be going for the Opteron option.

Seems to me that the individual cores on the opterons seem to be better matched so there is less of a chance that one core will OC well while the other one will fail at low OC.

Guest synergy

Thanks for the replies...I did search, but didn't find what I was looking for. I see that most of the Opties have 1000MHz HT's while most X2's have 2000MHz HT's. Would this make a huge difference?

All Dual core chips will have one core slightly weaker than the other. We as overclockers really see this because we push our chips to that edge. I have both a 4400 and a Opty 165. Bottom line Optys are not supported on DFI boards.

Guest synergy

Yea..I saw that. So is your recommendation an X2 then? I would like a more stable match with the cores, but are X2's having major problems with that?

Yep a X2 would be a good upgrade for you. Starting at X2 3800. I went with a X2 4400 because of the 1MB L2 Cache. Also try to get a 89W.

To clarify “one core slightly weaker than the other” is not a major problem with X2’s. We push them via overclocking to the failure point and back off till it’s stable. So we see the failure. Do you get what I mean?

Check out these thread's

A good thread on the 4400 specifically; What are your X2 4400 made of?

This is a great Opteron support thread. Socket 939 - Unofficial Opteron 939.

Id say the opty 165 but if you can find a X2 3800+ with a good stepping jump on it.I got my X2 for $119 brand new with stepping CCBWE 0543 SPMW which is the great stepping but it will do 275ghz at 1.45volts so im happy with i