Company of Heroes

paulmx

Hello,

There appears to be an issue with NF4 and AMD Processors (perhaps not all) and I want to start this thread for the problems I and others on game forums and the official Relic site have been having. I have three gaming rigs Asus Sli Premium, DFI Ultra and DFI Venus. In all three rigs the game closes down and sends a "Bug Report" to Relic; this can happen almost three times in one hour. If I install patch 1.20 the PC freezes or crashes and requires a restart. I have been in touch with Relic who assumes the problem is your hardware or sound driver. All of this I have checked... every other game I play which puts a load on the resources has no side effects. What I did was reduce the settings to stock in all 3 rigs, I adjusted the RAM and LTD voltages but did not OC the CPU. All three have played without any problems. I cannot find any difference in game play or rendering with this RTS game at stock settings. CMOS reloaded comes in very handy in this situation since I have entered the settings in the DFI rigs under COH Optimized. If anyone has related problems or fixes to play this game on the DFI overclocked I and others would surely appreciate any input. Of course I have referred to the Events Viewer under windows and read all the bug reports that have been sent. This is not a DX; sound;graphics driver related problem . Many feel that there is a conflict with either AMD or NF4 in the scripting that can be fixed with a patch that is coming out in two weeks.

I can attach any files or bug reports if requested.

Thanks

What I did was reduce the settings to stock in all 3 rigs, I adjusted the RAM and LTD voltages but did not OC the CPU. All three have played without any problems.

If anyone has related problems or fixes to play this game on the DFI overclocked I and others would surely appreciate any input.

The cause and the solution seems pretty obvious.

my system is clocked to 2.6 at the mo, CoH has NEVER crashed since install, its wierd, ive never had it with oblivion either. i play css/bf2/titanquest/oblivion/coh/dow/gw and the only 1 that crashes is css, cause valve are gay.

i didnt see whether the rigs were prime stable as suggested in previous post. have you tried priming for 8 or so hours ?

CoH is working perfectly for me with the 84.xx series drivers, not a crash, and getting a 70FPS average on the performance test with almost everything up at max.

Gotta be the best RTS I've ever played hands down, and I'm just on the first few missions of the campaign.

• 3 weeks later...
on my rig, CoH work perfectly fine, could it be your rig unstable?

It appears all 3 are stable from all the benchmarking . But I have been playing all weekend on the settings I posted without any problems at all. However I have lost interest in the game because of the "Three Stooges" AI one Sherman tank and five Rangers take almost a minute to eleminate one German Officer (artillery spotter) who keeps bouncing around shooting with a Luger and even dived under the tank LOL.

:)

It appears all 3 are stable from all the benchmarking . But I have been playing all weekend on the settings I posted without any problems at all. However I have lost interest in the game because of the "Three Stooges" AI one Sherman tank and five Rangers take almost a minute to eleminate one German Officer (artillery spotter) who keeps bouncing around shooting with a Luger and even dived under the tank LOL.

give Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War (and the new "Dark Crusade" expansion/sequel) a try if you dig RTS

I'm not down so much with teh fantasy nor sci-fi RTS games, but there's something awesome about the original Warhammer: Dawn of War RTS that keeps me playing it repeatedly...

• 2 weeks later...
The cause and the solution seems pretty obvious.

I had to remove all sound drivers from each rig using DCPro. I manually installed the original driver for each sound card (Audigy 2Z-Audigy SE and Audigy 4) using device manager then installed the updated drivers and control panels. Problem solved I can play COH at any OC setting. After searching the net I found that the sound driver problem was a common thread with this game. Strange "quirk" to be found in 3 different rigs. EAX is enabled in all games.