Vigor Gaming Monsoon II (754, 939, AM2, LGA775) TEC cooling!

Angry_Games

Looks like I made a mistake with the case. Something struck me as odd about how the twin 120mm's were mounted on the rear of your case. It appears we have different versions of the same case. The rear is different & the scroll fan mount is missing:

Yours is the original style...mine does have the mounts for a scroll though I just don't use one. The only difference is the rear panel. I also have the 830 which is a very nice case as well...a few lbs ligter being mostly aluminum.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3Ghz idle @ 17C - 19C (fluxes a little)

the fan is back to cycling up and down about every 3-5 seconds, so it's safe to say that definitely when you started a game and game-bombs are falling and aliens are crashing into planets below from lasercannon fire that you won't hear this thing when it kicks into full gear.

I think I'll ask Steven for sure if there's a way to manually control the fan or if they can put a more silent fan on here anyway, just because some of you are totally anal (like me!) and would complain about it (but only probably about as much as I am...I think this Monsoon unit and I are gonna be friends for a long time)

So you are really liking this ? I am getting the ultra myself and I would like to know how you would compare this to regular air cooling and water cooling as well ? .

Thank You .

Check out their website, they have some pics. There is plenty of room. I just got lucky with my case choice making that much better...

http://www.coolitsystems.com

Looks like it will fit. I can also experiment with moving the PSU to the bottom bay, & moving the dual 80mm fans to the upper bay. I've got another SilenX 120mm fan & a grill if I ever decide to enlarge the blow hole.

I'm going to strip the DFI motherboard this week, work on a bracket to get the Noctua aimed in the right direction, & mount the MonsoonII to the X2 4800+. I'm hoping the RMA'd X1950 is back in my hands on Friday so that I can test the DFI rig. I'm looking to hit 3GHz with the MonsoonII. If I can't, then the Noctua goes back on, or I buy a Coolit Freezone.

That plan got waylaid by the ULI chip-set. While testing video cards on the motherboard XP couldn't find the hard drives, so I tried to repair XP. At F6 I got the m5288 error message. Seems like the controller died.

I tried to spin the brackets on the Noctua, but the heat pipes are in the way. It has to blow vertically on an AMD motherboard.

Here's an idea for the adventuresome. Say you were to remove the base plate & the TEC from the Monsoon II, leaving what would essentially be a medium sized air cooler. What if you were to take a Tuniq Tower, drill 4 holes in the base plate, & mount the TEC & base plate from the Monsoon II? Splice one or two high flow 120mm fans into the controller wiring. What would the results be?

Angry_Games How would you rate this VS a water cooling setup ?

at the same price that is ..

well...depends on which kind of watercooling

if you got the right case and some cash to get a REAL watercooling setup like a DD or Swiftech, it can't be beat in my opinion.

The TEC cooler is ok for AMD, not so great for Intel, but that isn't really even the issue. The issue is noise and weight. Too much noise, too much weight for a motherboard that sits upright (in a typical case).

For $60 I'd rather have a Zalman 9500 or similar. For $100, I'd still rather have a Zalman.

For $150, the Corsair Nautilus or DD/Swiftech starter water kits are great. For $250, a full dual-rad DD/Swiftech setup is my choice 10 out of 10 times.

Maybe down the road these cheap TEC units will be better, but for right now, they simply aren't something I would spend money on.