Vigor Gaming Monsoon II (754, 939, AM2, LGA775) TEC cooling!

Angry_Games

Proz just remember that their rep had said something about condensation if you start messing with fans and all. I'm not sure how, but I imagine he either knows more or talked to someone who does than we do.

And OldGuy... Nice temps... That seems pretty close to watercooling with an Intel setup if I'm not mistaken? Though with what this thing can do for an amd, kinda makes me wish I took the amd "server" build from school instead of the Intel one.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Proz just remember that their rep had said something about condensation if you start messing with fans and all. I'm not sure how, but I imagine he either knows more or talked to someone who does than we do.

I know about condensation issues with TECs. And messing with the fan? Can't mess with it if it's not there. Enough off topic stuff I guess. The idea is nothing more then some drawings and formulas anyway right now.

I got the feeling Praz isn't thinking of using it on an AMD :)

but i am lol sure would like to see that bad boy up against a BT on a 939 shootuot :D and see how bad it smoked the BT

Here's a little comparison I threw together...(okay I didn't throw it together, it actually took a couple of hours :) )

The systems are as follows:

DFI Infinity 975X/G Motherboard bios 9/13............Asus P5B Deluxe Motherboard bios 0711

Intel Conroe E6400 CPU.......................................Intel Conroe E6700 CPU

CoolitSystems Freezone......................................Vigor Gaming Monsoon II

Geil Ultra DDR2 1000 Memory..............................Corsair DDR2 800 Memory

OCZ GameXstream 700w PSU..............................Enermax Noisetaker 600w PSU

XFX 7900gtx GFX Card........................................eVga 7950gt KO GFX Card

2 WD 250gb HD's in RAID 0.................................2 WD 250gb HD's in RAID 0

Monitoring software is Everest Ultimate Edition so you can see temperatures of both cores and eliminate differences

between DFI and Asus supplied monitoring software.

Tests were run at 400 X 8 (3.2ghz) with 1.325v and 416 X 8 (3.328ghz) with 1.50v

Load temps were achieved using Orthos small FFT's to generate maximum heat on CPU

Ambients at time of tests are noted...

SPECIAL NOTE: ORTHOS IS NOT PICKING UP DROPPED MULTI ON ASUS

SO DISREGARD THE MONDO HILACIOUS OC NUMBERS. IF I WAS GETTING

4GHZ ON STOCK VOLTAGE I'D BE DOING CART WHEELS (IF I COULD DO

CARTWHEELS) Asus bios allow for dropping the multiplier on certain Asus Motherboards...

Which allows me to do the comparison I'm submitting to you..my fellow DFI'ers ;)

400 X 8 1.325v Idle Ambient Room Temp 83F

Freezone Avg 29c..............Monsoon II Avg 36.5c

monsooncomparo1325v32ghzfreezoneny7.th.jpg monsooncomparo1325v32ghzmonsoonqo0.th.jpg

400 X 8 1.325v Load Ambient Room Temp 83F

Freezone Avg 46c..............Monsoon II Avg 55c

monsooncomparo1325v32ghzfreezoneloadjp0.th.jpg monsooncomparo1325v32ghzmonsoonloadtl5.th.jpg

416 X 8 1.500v Idle Ambient Room Temp 82F

Freezone Avg 40c..............Monsoon II Avg 48c

monsooncomparo150v333ghzfreezoneyt2.th.jpg monsooncomparo150v333ghzmonsoonby2.th.jpg

416 X 8 1.500v Load Ambient Room Temp 82F

Freezone Avg 64c..............Monsoon II Avg 67.5c

monsooncomparo150v333ghzfreezoneloadev3.th.jpg monsooncomparo150v333ghzmonsoonloadyw4.th.jpg

Look at the numbers...Make your own conclusions. Bear in mind that these numbers are high if you are coming from an AMD system...............

Wow, so the Freezone outperforms this eh?

The Freezone is retailing at NCIX for $399.00 and i expect the Monsoon to be about $200.00 (hopefully) if they decide to stock it (hows that coming Viper? Any news?)

If i was going to an Intel system, the Freezone seems like a good investment, but since im sticking with AMD for a while, the Monsoon hits the spot!

Nice comparison OldGuy, keep up the good work :)

@old guy: thanks for the comparison at different voltages - really helpful.

If I am reading correctly there is almost 40 degrees (celcius) between ambient and the loading temps [ambient=83 fahrenheit (28 celsius), load=67.5 celcius @ 1.5 volts].

i think it is not a feasible "cooling" solution (not counting noise or other considerations) given that a good heatsink can be find around $50; or am I completely missing something here?

i think to complete your test (and my conclusion) can you perform a test with any heatsink at same settings (it doesnt need to be precisely same conditions). I bet with a good contact and relatively high cfm fan you will get very close results...

And one more thing, in pcper review they found that in the hot box tec performs much better (perhaps delta t will be less than 40 degrees if you close the case - my $0.02)

I have read the tread since the day you posted it. and when i stated (some of you) I had in mind that some ment more then one. and buy someone that has nothing in state. your review didn't show anything my 34 euro BT wont do. I try and keep a open mind and base my decision on more then one persons apion . HaHa I like the quote in your sig that tread didn't last long. PS you got mail