What to choose???

OK, so money situation ain't too great :( so I'm gonna have to rethink my to-buy list.. no doubt what gets left off this purchase will be bought next time so bear that in mind :)

I only really have enough money for two of these things, which ones do you think I should get (and why?)

Case Fans

Evercool VC-RE

Graphics Card Cooling (VF-900)

My temps are as follows:

CPU: Idle 30-35 depending on ambient

Load 35-40 again depending on ambient

Chipset: Tends to hover around 45-50... this is with fan on 4500RPM, cos it was buzzing at higher RPMs lol :P

Graphics Card: 55 at the moment, seen it get to 70

Case 33 at the moment, pretty cool in my room...

And can only afford two of those options :(

Bear in mind I will be overclocking when I get this extra cooling... I'm thinking the Fans and Evercool are the best choices, and I'll postpone the Graphics Card overclock...

As always, input is appreciated :)

If you have good airflow in your case, which you seem to have. New case fans wouldn't be on the top of my list. I personally would go cpu / gpu first as that'll let you OC more. H_G said the chipset could go up to like 70c or something, so at 45c I wouldn't be too worried.

But with that case temp I wouldn't really worry about new case fans, it's not that high, but then again putter better heatsinks on the rest of the stuff will make the case temp go up slightly. But you can always pull the side panel off if it's getting too hot till you get the extra cash for new fans. Now that I think of it more it is a harder decision. You just need a box-o-fans like I have... 1' cube overflowing with fans :D

Just me though.

Yeah it's a bit of a dilemma... my temps go down a lot when I take the side panel off, which is why I thought some relatively high CFM fans (as linked) one exhaust and two intakes would help air flow and therefore temps (both GPU and chipset benefit immediately) plus maybe a 90mm directed over the chipset and/or PWMIC.

Any more suggestions? :)

did you edit your original post? i dont see any mention in it of case fans. how much do you have to spend? for about $50 you can get the VF-900 (non-LED) and a VC-RE at jab-tech.com. good case fans will be about $8-15 each depending on what you get. what "fans" (case fans i assume) are you thinking of getting?

There's a link up there (sorry if it's not obvious, just click on Fans)...

I live in the UK, so a VGA cooler + VC-RE is more like £50 with postage etc. :( which is like $95 according to Google :P

Case fans are Antec TriCool, fiver a pop from amazon, which is where it's linked to above.... Spoke to a mate who had them who said they push a lot of air and they're quiet if you use a Fan Controller :)

I probably have about £40-£50 to spend

Def the HSFs, should radiate the heat better anyway - means cools down quicker and they'll promote airflow. Have a couple Antec 120mm (tricool or similar, I forget - one has a sensor), I wouldn't mind the postage though if you want them. They're okay CFM but not monsters, quiet but not "are they on?". :).

i just ordered a bunch of 120mm quiet fans. i just couldn't make up my mind which would be the best, so i just sampled a few (i will eventually use them somewhere i guess). coolermaster, artic cooling, globalwin, and scythe. i previously had some coolermaster, vantec and thermaltake. i ended up using the scythe s-flex (high flow model with a fan controller). they provided the most CFM while still remaining quiet (both wind and motor wise). i use two of them in the front of my stacker, so they needed to be quiet yet provide plenty of CFM. they work really good.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, bring this thread up again!!

Still need a definitive decision... bear in mind the winter months are coming and temps will drop subsequently....

Noise is getting to be an issue now and the chipset fan is definitely contributing to that...

I have £40 to spend tops, a VC-RE is about £10, fans will be £20 at least with P&P and an Evercool VC900 is about £25-30.

Temps at the moment (pretty chilly in here):

CPU: 32

PWMIC: 45

Chipset: 45

Case: 32

GFX Card: 56 (that's idle, havent played games in ages lol)

Chipset fan is @ 5000RPM to keep noise down

i just ordered a bunch of 120mm quiet fans. i just couldn't make up my mind which would be the best, so i just sampled a few (i will eventually use them somewhere i guess). coolermaster, artic cooling, globalwin, and scythe. i previously had some coolermaster, vantec and thermaltake. i ended up using the scythe s-flex (high flow model with a fan controller). they provided the most CFM while still remaining quiet (both wind and motor wise). i use two of them in the front of my stacker, so they needed to be quiet yet provide plenty of CFM. they work really good.

I've decided on some Antec Tri Cools (120mm) due to a recommendation from a friend of mine... they're pretty cheap and widely available in this country :)