Plan a vacation for me.

jazzpicker

After working for the Feds for 20+ years , I am able to enjoy a well earned hazardous duty retirement.

I try to get away from sunny north Florida a couple of times a year for a month at a time. I've found out that traveling "out of season" I can stay somewhere as cheaply for a month as I can for a week in a high season resort.

I would appreciate any suggestions for places to visit during December and part of January. I would like to see some snow (not an absloute requirement) and want to avoid expensive resorts. I just want to rent an apartment or condo in a nice area that is safe, has some places to see and has good food. I'll be driving from Florida so Northern California and the Pacific Northwest may be a bit far.

I know we have people from all over the country and I would appreciate your advice.

Thanks!!

Minnesota can be a little chilly and snowy, but Minneapolis is definately a nice place to visit. December seems to be a little bit of a tamer month than that of January up here, but both can be a little hostile.

Chicago would also be a nice place to visit.

Lots of snowbirds rent their places out while they are down South.

When the snowbirds show up at your local campgrounds, pay them a visit and you will be amazed at the amount of info and deals you can find.

Next year try Mexico or South America.

The exchange rates are very favorable and you can live like a king for a few dollars a day.

After working for the Feds for 20+ years , I am able to enjoy a well earned hazardous duty retirement.

I try to get away from sunny north Florida a couple of times a year for a month at a time. I've found out that traveling "out of season" I can stay somewhere as cheaply for a month as I can for a week in a high season resort.

I would appreciate any suggestions for places to visit during December and part of January. I would like to see some snow (not an absloute requirement) and want to avoid expensive resorts. I just want to rent an apartment or condo in a nice area that is safe, has some places to see and has good food. I'll be driving from Florida so Northern California and the Pacific Northwest may be a bit far.

I know we have people from all over the country and I would appreciate your advice.

Thanks!!

pick a city near the snowy mountains that has an NHL hockey team

enjoy skiiing etc and a real NHL hockey game, as well as the great food and entertainment such a city has

every city has it's own specialty...while I don't know each and every one, a place like Montreal would probably have killer french food, hockey, but not much in the way of skiing lol...but a city like Vancouver would have great seafood, lots of tech stuff, the Canucks to go see, skiing nearby, etc.

Doesn't have to be Canada either...Denver in the winter has the Avalanche NHL team (and they have probably the best fans in teh entire league...it's crazy at the Pepsi Center on game night), they have the best skiing in the country, and the Coors or Budweiser brewery (im not a beer guy so don't complain how stupid I am...there's some brewery in Ft Collins area), etc.

Plus you could maybe even catch an NFL game if you ain't so down with hockey (but you should go see a game lol)

Minnesota can be a little chilly and snowy, but Minneapolis is definately a nice place to visit. December seems to be a little bit of a tamer month than that of January up here, but both can be a little hostile.

Chicago would also be a nice place to visit.

THanks for the suggestions, Montreal would be my number one choice but, I think I'll stay in the USA. I drove through Lake Placid and upstate New York and loved the country but the heavy snow and hills might be a little much for my southern USA equipped car.

I was thinking about the Twin City area but have to check to see what there is to do there. I'd like to see the Mall of America. Chicago is also a good option.

I'd like to go back to Las Vegas but the hookers nearly killed me last trip.....(kidding)

Keep the suggestions coming. Any places in Az, NM or in western states? I think Colorado is expensive with the ski areas.