And so it begins again, this time with Intel's new Core2Duo

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what I am getting ... the processor that is. See my sig for the new rig. I am new to the Intel procs because I have never owned an Intel system before. I have always had AMD procs, so this is new to me. I hope you guys can help me when it comes to my OC'ing of this processor. BTW, anyone care to show me the link to get started with overclocking? I do need a little better understanding of the process of posting the OCDB for overclocks. Thanks in advance.

Wow! I can't believe it's taken me this long to get to and all the way thorugh this thread since I put my rig together a little over 2 weeks ago. HG's original post was right on the money. I jumped from 2.4Ghz to 3.25Ghz in 3 rather large steps and with only short 1 hour dual-prime and memtest86 sessions to test stability. All I wanted was a good OC that was stable for folding 24/7-365 and occasional benchies and dvd editing. :) Spending 2 weeks tweaking and testing just wasn't on the agenda! Points. I needed more points. LOL. I have no need to set my gf's mustache on fire with my OC's! :P My rig's been folding 100% on each core at 3250 for a week without a hitch! Some of RGone may be rubbing off though. I have a better case on order and picked up a Nautilus 500 WC kit today. I'm sure this puppy has a couple hundred mhz more in it without extreme measures. :)

The only thing I may take exception to in HG's original post... I paid $185 for my DFI LP Expert and $184 for my 975G/X. Now the obsolete (?) Expert is going for $150. IMHO I should get an equal bios for the same money whether LP or Infinity. Honestly, now that I've spent time with the board, I can't complain. The performance is incredible and is keeping me 1st or 2nd in 24hr production on my F@H team...at least until they all get Conroes. :P

Got a question Happy - how did that Thermalright SI-120 work out for you? Im trying to get one because my E6600 @ 3.1 (forgot voltage, Ill write it down next time) is getting a bit toasty at full load. I was also looking at the SI-128, dont know if it warrants the extra cash out of a broke college student's pocket.

Also - my FSB is at 345Mhz right no and my RAM is set on 400MHz in the BIOS. What divider is that? How high did you have to get your FSB up before you could get it to boot at 533MHz?

I love this thread, giggling away at the potential my E6600 has as soon as I can find $300 laying in the street for a WC setup.

edit: How is the 9/13 BIOS? Is it still beta? Worth updating from 7/31 for a few extra MHz?

Got a question Happy - how did that Thermalright SI-120 work out for you? Im trying to get one because my E6600 @ 3.1 (forgot voltage, Ill write it down next time) is getting a bit toasty at full load. I was also looking at the SI-128, dont know if it warrants the extra cash out of a broke college student's pocket.

Also - my FSB is at 345Mhz right no and my RAM is set on 400MHz in the BIOS. What divider is that? How high did you have to get your FSB up before you could get it to boot at 533MHz?

I love this thread, giggling away at the potential my E6600 has as soon as I can find $300 laying in the street for a WC setup.

edit: How is the 9/13 BIOS? Is it still beta? Worth updating from 7/31 for a few extra MHz?

the SI-120 is just fine, I found it easily able to handle 3Ghz overclocks @ full load, and I pushed it to 3200Mhz before I finally decided that 75C during full paging load was getting a little too warm ;)

I don't see a reason to go with an SI-128 as you won't get really any better temps than you will with what you have.

Watercooling...is a better option if you got the cash.

At 334, my divider is still on the 533..I think I was able to go all the way up to 350-ish with my divider still set to 533, but 360 and beyond I had to drop down to 400 divider.

I couldn't even boot at all with teh 533 before the 9/13 bios also.

9/13 should be official by now ;)

Alrighty, thanks a bunch, I'll look into the 9/13. I couldnt get it to POST when set at 533... raised the voltages on the RAM and chipset and it would reset everything when it failed to POST.

I dont think I'll have the chance to dab into water cooling for a while - college really puts a drain on the ol' bank account. 345x9 when running Orthos with a ~60-65F room gets me low 70s on stock cooling and stock thermal goop. Ive been reading reviews on the SI-120 like its my job, its hard though to compare their results to what I may get... different TDP's, their overclocks versus mine, their room temps vs mine, etc etc etc. No cash and I dont know whats good in terms of watercooling... I will someday. :rolleyes:

Im most likely going to order the SI-120 on Monday after my paycheck gets deposited, I'll hit 3.2 and maybe 3.25 if Im lucky and call it quits... no sense in going higher because my monitor is limited to 1280x1024, and I dont do any encoding or editing. Hell, my system lags (bought the damn 8MB cache version of the 7200.10 hard drive instead of the 16MB... didnt read, too excited spending money) when I rip a DVD. :confused: :mad:

Alrighty, thanks a bunch, I'll look into the 9/13. I couldnt get it to POST when set at 533... raised the voltages on the RAM and chipset and it would reset everything when it failed to POST.

I dont think I'll have the chance to dab into water cooling for a while - college really puts a drain on the ol' bank account. 345x9 when running Orthos with a ~60-65F room gets me low 70s on stock cooling and stock thermal goop. Ive been reading reviews on the SI-120 like its my job, its hard though to compare their results to what I may get... different TDP's, their overclocks versus mine, their room temps vs mine, etc etc etc. No cash and I dont know whats good in terms of watercooling... I will someday. :rolleyes:

Im most likely going to order the SI-120 on Monday after my paycheck gets deposited, I'll hit 3.2 and maybe 3.25 if Im lucky and call it quits... no sense in going higher because my monitor is limited to 1280x1024, and I dont do any encoding or editing. Hell, my system lags (bought the damn 8MB cache version of the 7200.10 hard drive instead of the 16MB... didnt read, too excited spending money) when I rip a DVD. :confused: :mad:

i got to tell you that 3Ghz on the C2D @ DDR667 divider is more than enough for anyone running 1280x1024 or lower resolution

;)

I'll take your word for it, believe me. I just want to get out of the "normal" 60-70% of people who want mediocre overclocks and I want to get better at it. I will admit, this is my first, but I think a 710MHz bump is pretty darn good for a newbie. Unless I ignore my studies more than I already am, I wont get to a level like that of yourself or R_Gone or any of the other crazy OC'ers here anytime soon. Patience young grasshopper... I know, I know.

The reason Im overclocking more than I need to is that a buddy of mine has a similar rig (7800GT, a Gigabyte DS3, and a Tt Blue Orb are the only differences) and we are somewhat competing for higher overclocks... hes at 2.92 right now because of instability, not enough voltage I think. The competition and more importantly, the sheer enjoyment of it.

Aside from that, Ive got the 9/13 BIOS now, but its chow time. Ill see what I can do with it after I eat something.

Will you look at this baby? What a monster!! This will cool my woodstove! Can't wait to get this puppy hooked up!! For those who don't know, I ordered on Monday, and everything except the case and my combo drive, arrived today, Friday. I can't complain, cause I really didn't think I would get the stuff until Monday or Tuesday of next week. More pics to come

dsc00348lj2.th.jpg

The massive Noctua NH-U12 ... wooo wheeeee!

Will you look at this baby? What a monster!! This will cool my woodstove! Can't wait to get this puppy hooked up!! For those who don't know, I ordered on Monday, and everything except the case and my combo drive, arrived today, Friday. I can't complain, cause I really didn't think I would get the stuff until Monday or Tuesday of next week. More pics to come

dsc00348lj2.th.jpg

The massive Noctua NH-U12 ... wooo wheeeee!

Nice, that oughta keep her cool! What fan(s) are you using with it?

Nice, that oughta keep her cool! What fan(s) are you using with it?

I have opted to try the Antec SmartCool fan for now, though I have a couple of Arctic Cooling 120's and some AeroCool Turbine 120's. It's all going to set on my test bench for awhile, before I put it into the case. Besides, I have my natural arctic cooling experiment coming up real quick. Looked out my window this morning and Hallelujah!!! SNOW!!!dsc00358rk8.th.jpg First snowfall this year, but it'll probably melt by this afternoon, but the colder temperatures are coming! My window has some great potential for what I have in mind. More on that later. :cool: