And so it begins again, this time with Intel's new Core2Duo

Ive got some questions H_G... what are your idle and load temps, or what were they with your E6600 around 3.1 or 3.2GHz? What was the room temp? My room temp is about 19-20C, and overclockers.com says the C/W for the SI-120 is about .14 (at 100W TDP) so I can expect mid/high 30's for idle, no? What about the fan you had mounted on it... cfm?

at 3.2Ghz on air, it would run dual-prime under full load with an XP-120 @ about 68C to 75C

Room temps I tried to keep around 76F to 78F but being summer heat still and the lab only having a window A/C unit, it was more possible that daytime it was 76F to 82F

idle...about 40C

the fan was the $6.99 Arctic Silencer 120mm from SVC (link to SVC in my sig)

make no mistake, E6600's at stock speed, especially with the C1E and stop bits (like AMD's Cool & Quiet, reduces multiplier when the cpu is not fully loaded), are nice and cool...but as soon as you turn off all the C1E and internal cooling bits in the bios, and start running it full-tilt, the Core2Duo puts out some serious heat for sure.

Stock intel heatsink would work but wouldn't be very good...nowhere near as good as a decent to nice Thermalright, Zalman, or TT Typhoon etc.

Watercooling is of course better, and allowed me to get to 3600Mhz without breaking 77C (single radiator with 2x 100CFM fans...nice and loud)

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ohioan myself... go OSU.

Damn, that Ginn Jr is one fast MFer.

Im a student at the University of Akron right now... where are you techno?

Iowa State. We're gettin our asses handed to us by fricken Northern Iowa.

Hey guys, what the hell is the temperature threshhold of these chips???? 75C under water is DAMN hot in my book.

Who knows, I'm only going to go as far as 65 max on mine anymore, I don't like abusing it...

But I tapped just over 80C when I tried priming at 380x10, so they'll get REALLY warm on air as I'm using a bix3 and 3 solid fans.

a little birdie told me that they would do a true 90C before they failed...threshhold on these chips are very high

I personally don't like 77C either, so when I make it my main rig, I am going to leave it at 3Ghz and under a dual-rad with 4x 120mm fans, it will probably idle @ 35C and fully load at about 60C to 65C which is very acceptable (considering the temps will be this high since I have 2x X1900XT Crossfires on full DD Tyee waterblocks on the same rad/loop, and they both clock to about 740/850)

I would love to set up some watercooling with this, but it may be a bit cramped in my Thermaltake Tsunami, and it would seriously break the bank being in college.

My Akron was getting its butt handed to us by Kent State (our rival) last time I saw... oh well, didnt watch much because Im sitting here agonizing over getting this heatsink. I can get the SI-128 for $6 cheaper, but if the SI-120 gives better temps, I guess will get it... :rolleyes:

My buddy is shipping me one of the stock 120mm fans that comes with a Thermaltake Soprano... one of those black ones with the orange blades. I think theyre rated at 55ish CFM at 18ish dB and under 2000RPM, so that should be just dandy with either the SI-120 or the 128.

Gahh.... I hate indecision! :(

Edit... I saw somewhere on Intel's site that they advise max load temps to be 60C. Kinda makes me worry about some Orthos runs @ 74C... :eek:

Edit... I saw somewhere on Intel's site that they advise max load temps to be 60C. Kinda makes me worry about some Orthos runs @ 74C...

I trust little birdies more than I do some website info

I've got a little thing coming that might be as good if not better than watercooling, at about the price of watercooling, but without the hassle of watercooling...stay tuned ;)